Chronological Classics back in stock

Surplus Queen

These look interesting-- I know nothing about this label, legal issues, etc... but are there any recommendations for "must haves" and "really oughtta haves"?

Chris,

It depends on your interests but all Classics to me are great. They basically take an artist and start putting out his output. In the case of a big star like Hawk, they'll put it out year by year, everything he recorded in that particular year. Just masters, no alternates, and from all labels. For some of the older stuff, Classics is pretty indispensible since they're putting out stuff that may have been on 78s only or are unlikely to see the light of day from the major labels. Since they're based in France, they only have to deal with a 50 year statute of limitations so they're up to 1953.

I ordered the Cozy Cole, an Art Tatum and a couple of Earl Hines'.

Brad describes the label well. I like the label more and more as I realize how great a service they are doing by doing this chronolgical crosslabel reissue program. And they sound better and better all the time as they come out. They are also into the modern jazz era now, which puts them on a lot of person's radar.

I should have ordered the Cozy Cole! This time I ordered a Billy Taylor, a Sammy Price, a Marsala and a Mezzrow.