Apple, the computer, not the label.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I got an iPhone 4 this week and while I was in the Apple store I checked out their MacBook Pro. Verrry nice but at that price I could get two Dell laptops that would have the same specs that I want.

...and I think the Mac would still be the better choice. I used Windows for most of my professional career, but once I got a Mac I've never considered using anything else. My Mac Mini runs Windows 7 perfectly, so if I absolutely need Windows it's installed and ready to go. Having the dual OS option alone puts the Mac ahead of any Dell, plus the support provided by Apple is incomparable...if you want to talk to India, buy the Dell, if you want to talk with people that actually know the computers (and the language), buy a Mac.

And you'll recoup the money on repair costs, and eventual replacement costs, over the lifetime of the computer.

(Unless you're Jim Alfredson and can build your own. ... :D )

Yep. My 2006 iMac can still run the latest version of the Mac OS and Windows 7, while my Dell computer that I bought in 2006 is sitting in the closet with a bad motherboard...and it's been there for over a year.

My dad, bless him, has three Windows-based laptops, and he is always complaining about them slowing down and having to call the Geek Squad to come over and pull the weeds from the hard drives for $80 a pop. It's like standard operating procedure with him. I wish he'd bite the bullet and get a mac.

Old habits, I guess.

Listen to what Shawn and Papsrus have to say. They are absolutely right and the haven't even begun to point out the Mac's superiority over PC—Dell is junk by comparison.

BTW, I have used MAcs since they came out, in 1984, and regular Apple computers since 1979. Presently, I also have Windows installed on my main Mac (with Parallels), but only because I need to use it for an ongoing job. The two operating systems run seamlessly (and simultaneously) on the same machine.

My 2¢

At another board I frequent, one with some focus on product development and design at Apple, the observation was made that Apple is not just a computer or technology company. It is -- or is becomming -- almost a kind of "life design" company.

You get an iPod and dig it. Check out an iPhone and buy one. Get an iPad for Christmas and love it. Next thing you know, you're surrounded by Apple products and your whole "connected" experience has been radically altered.

Eventually we'll all hop into our electric iCars to head over to iHop for some iPancakes. And when we get home at night we'll dial up an iMovie on our Apple TVs. :g

The products they create, love 'em or not, have profound influence. From the iPod to the iPad, they are out front. All others are simply jockeying for position in the chase.

Seems to me ...

We were burgled a couple of weeks ago - after kicking in the back door, the only they took was my Apple laptop. Strange - doesn't your average junkie crim value Bear Family and Mosaic boxes? <_<

Anyway, within 24 hours I was equipped with a refurbished, cleaned, near as new three-year-old iMac for $600 that actually suits my needs better.

It is truly a lifestyle change and going backwards is most painful.

I've just begun a new in-house contract gig and am attempting to use PS CS5 - a jump of five upgrades for me - on a Dell laptop.

Having only used a PC based system briefly in the past this new arrangement is not quite a friendly experience.

There is soooo much crap to have to look at with every which way I try to do the same actions that I'm used to doing naturally on the Mac. It's well beyond a learning curve in reverse. I'm tempted to buy my own MacBook or MB Pro and haul it around as productivity suffers greatly in the PC world.

I'm curious what the new refreshes will offer in the upcoming months.?

Bloomberg Business Week published an excellent think piece about the future of Apple after Steve Jobs...er, no longer works there.

Apple With or Without Jobs

"Jobs commands Apple with the discipline and improvisational confidence of John Coltrane. It's not clear who else, if anyone, at the company can groove with equal flair."

^_^

Jobs is brilliant, but the article hints at how his hyper-control over Apple product development, marketing and business partnerships may have actually held the company back. The reluctance to strike a deal with Verizon for the iPhone until just recently, for instance, certainly held back the sales of that product. Or the whole 'closed' approach to the Mac operating system and how that ceded a gigantic chunk of the software market to Microsoft.

Interesting article.

Edited by papsrus