sal marquez

chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

hes an LA jazz musican, i remember ten yrs ago, he flew up to do a gig w/ our university jazz ensemble- i'd never heard of the guy but he was on some zappa albums,- he was like an LA gangster, but i remember at the time i didnt take him so seriously, like pppfft, is this guy for real? basically this famous or almost famous jazz trumpter came up for like a whole week and chilled w/ me n my friends n stuff, and he was pretty out of control with us, good times

oh wait, i forgot the important part:

so he says he'd doin a gig at the Baked Potato, his Sal Marquez b-day gig!

and i was all, ok. (at this pt. still not conviced about this guy) and i was all, whos on it? he says: Bennie Maupin, Sal, oh, and Tootie Heath on drums, i dont remember who was on piano, it might of been Alan Pasqua, but id have to reference that--

so im all: hmmm, so im able to get down there around time of the show...i go to this, it was exteremly amazing. basically we sat right in front of tootie heath and slightly to the left of him Bennie in my face, it was insanely good- Bennie was killin to this day out of all the times ive seen him, it was this show that was the most """straight ahead"""- i saw him other times but w/ Herbie Headhunters and his own fusion band which was @ the hotel i cant remember in hollywood, in-fucking-credible concert, i walk into the bar, Bennies rockin the bass clairnet, and the piano player was dippin into some kind of in a slient way bag while bennie was playing his crazy fusion song, it was out of this universe. i drove thru 6 hours of LA traffic to get there, lol

He did a Miles Davis trib disc in 1992 called One For Dewey which I have but haven't listened to in quite awhile. The fact that I didn't get rid of it tells me I heard some merit in it last time I played it (available from 15 Amazon sellers for the no respeect price of .99 or less, both used and new). He also participated in some Frank Zappa sessions in the 1970's

Edited by Tom in RI

Sal Marquez was in the NTSU 1:00 Lab Band in the late 1960s along with Lou Marini, Tom Malone, etc. He then went on Woody Herman's band for a while (playing on the Light My Fire album) before hitting L.A. As noted, he's on some Zappa things, most notably Wakka-Jawakka, iirc.

That late '60s 1:00 band was not without it's "characters", if you know what I mean...