Mobley-Joe Henderson-Sonny Red-Joe Brazil

chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

It would be interesting to hear, but I've heard the material, and you can't hear too much of anything, really.

I have a very high tolerance for homemade tapes and such, but this one is damn near unlistenable. You can hear the lines (more or less), but the tones all sound the same, which is to say, one prolonged GRGGRGRHKNWPCLQGRGGRGRHKNWPCLQGRGGRGRHKNWPCLQGRGGRGRHKNWPCLQ Not a vowel to be had.

Too bad, really.

Sort of like Joe Btfsplk, no vowels in his sir name.

My copy of this, albeit not great, is listenable, at least to me.

Since this is a private recording I can offer it to anyone that wants to hear it. These are the links

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Edited by Hardbopjazz

It would be interesting to hear, but I've heard the material, and you can't hear too much of anything, really.

I have a very high tolerance for homemade tapes and such, but this one is damn near unlistenable. You can hear the lines (more or less), but the tones all sound the same, which is to say, one prolonged GRGGRGRHKNWPCLQGRGGRGRHKNWPCLQGRGGRGRHKNWPCLQGRGGRGRHKNWPCLQ Not a vowel to be had.

Too bad, really.

Since this is a private recording I can offer it to anyone that wants to hear it. These are the links

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Interesting. Do you have a track listing as there are more tracks here than in the session listed above?

Too bad, really.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Interesting. Do you have a track listing as there are more tracks here than in the session listed above?

This is what I put together.

Joe Brazil's basement Detroit, MI Donald Towns (tp), John Coltrane, Joe Henderson and Hank Mobley (ts), Joe Brazil and Sonny ?Red? Kyner (as), High Lawson (p), Ernie Farrow (bass), Roy Brooks (d). 1. Untitled blues jam, ending with Now's the Time (18:46), 2. Woody'n You (7:25), 3. Paul's Pal (12:20), 4. Sweet Georgia Brown (11:40) Total 47:00 Disc 2 1. Unknown Title 19:42, 2 Unknown Title 21:22, 3. Unknown Title 18:35 Total 59:41

Too bad, really.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

This is what I put together.

Joe Brazil's basement Detroit, MI Donald Towns (tp), John Coltrane, Joe Henderson and Hank Mobley (ts), Joe Brazil and Sonny ?Red? Kyner (as), High Lawson (p), Ernie Farrow (bass), Roy Brooks (d). 1. Untitled blues jam, ending with Now's the Time (18:46), 2. Woody'n You (7:25), 3. Paul's Pal (12:20), 4. Sweet Georgia Brown (11:40) Total 47:00 Disc 2 1. Unknown Title 19:42, 2 Unknown Title 21:22, 3. Unknown Title 18:35 Total 59:41

Thanks a lot for the information. My query is to do with the tracks on Part 2. These appear to be a lot more contemporary and studio-based than the lo-fi Joe Brazil basement recordings. The same applies to track 2 of Part 1. Just wondered where they might have come from.

Can't comment on the whole thing, but Part 1 Track 1 is Coltrane playing "Chasin' The Trane" w/no other horns present, and Track 2 is definitely not from the 1950s, not with that type of bass playing and recording, and it's not Woody'n You. Which is to say that these cuts, anyway, are not the Joe Brazil tapes under discussion here.

Maybe on some of the other parts, perhaps?

Been listening to your versions of the Brazil material, and yes, it is clearer than I've ever ehard it, but there's still the whatever-causes-it thing where the horn players sound like they're playing mutliphonics on every note, some kind of distortion that's affecting the overtones or something...I don't have the knowledge to accurately describe it.

I'd love it if somewhere there was a copy of this tape that didn't have that. An earleir generation copy, if one exists.

But still - this is the least "muddled" version of this material I've come across. Again, thanks for sharing!

• 2 months later...

look you guys, i need you to back me up on this- this is tarnishing the mobes legacy. it is this fans belief that this mobley discg. listing is --INCORRECT--.

check it out, ive come across this situation before. like hey, did you hear hank did this or that, and it checks out. but THIS time.....EVEN with an actual recording, i have to say no.

i have a question--- what is the musical snippet people are going on, that this is hank? what are they basing this on. i would LOVE to know what their source was on that