Art Tatum -- "California Melodies"

Larry Kart

http://www.amazon.com/California-Melodies-Art-Tatum/dp/B000003UE5/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289840036&sr=1-1

Tatum on David Rose's radio show "California Melodies," in excellent sound, and again, this is a legit issue, authorized by Rose's and Tatum's heirs. Interestingly, eleven of the twenty-four tracks (total time is about 78 minutes) are Tatum's first recorded broadcast performances of those tunes. If you dig Tatum, I think you'll enjoy this, though if you're not a Tatum fan, you probably won't be converted. I was particularly struck by "Caravan," "Get Happy," "The Shout," "Wrap Your Troubles in Dreams," "Elegie" (yes, "Elegie"), "Have You Met Miss Jones," and "Body and Soul."

I agree that this is a good one.

Coincidently I was just listening to "Art Tatum - I Got Rhythm,Vol.3 (1935-44) on a Decca CD. This CD has a mixture of solo, trio, and small group tracks.

Two tunes that I especially enjoyed were by a small group consisting of Joe Thomas(tp),Ed Hall(clt),Tatum,Billy Taylor(b),Eddie Dougherty(dr) from January 1941.

Both these tracks are good examples of Tatum fitting in well with horns.