The Greatest: Trumpet Edition

Bright Moments

Any top trumpet list of mine would definitely include Clifford Brown.

Since your list includes Mendez, we're not just talking jazz players, so I might also have to include Phillip Smith and Bud Herseth. And lead players like Conrad Gozzo.

Although Miles is one of my favorite jazz trumpet players (as is Chet), I'm not sure I'd put them in the top ten best TRUMPET players.

Seems like this should have gone in the Artists forum, no? (Does a kind mod want to move it?)

Anyway: Louis Armstrong, Red Allen, and Muggsy Spanier, for me. Oh, and Maurice André, please. :)

I have a hard time rounding out a top ten. Jabbo Smith, Bunny Berigan, Tommy Ladnier, Wild Bill Davison...maybe Harry James and Bix.

My 10 best underrated trumpet players of the pre-bop era

1 Bill Coleman

2 Jabbo Smith

3 Guy Kelly

4 Jimmy McPartland

5 Bobby Stark

6 Arthur Briggs

7 Louis Bacon

8 Shad Collins

9 Frankie Newton

10 Emmett Berry

Thanks for that list. I'm directly familiar with several, of course -- Coleman, Smith, Newton -- and indirectly with players like Kelly, with Celestin. Listening to Coleman's 1936 - 38 Chrono Classic this morning. Sweet player.

Will investigate some of the others on your list.

Yes, Fats Navarro is a knock out for a top ten -- great lead trumpeter and beautiful improvisor.

Don Cherry's deep. After him came another diverse, broad ranged trumpeter, Lester Bowie. Lester was uncanny in his ability to play low, and his sound was completely personal.

For what it's worth, though he wasn't as spectacular, which is almost a pre-requisite for trumpeters in jazz, Buck Clayton was a solid melodic trumpeter. He probably won't rate in a list of movers, shakers and bakers but he had a beautiful sound.

Joe Oliver, Bubber Miley or Cootie Williams deserve a spot in the top on that instrument for the variety of colors they brought to the music through it.

• 2 weeks later...