jd king tenor sax

While in Vegas, I stumbled across a few LPs in a pawn shop. Among my purchases was this interesting side. I haven't dropped a needle on it yet; I just got home.

JD King and his orchestra "Swingin' Saturday Night Dancer Party"(Tampa records TP27) w/ Joe Felix - piano, Dick Taylor - bass and trombone, and Nick Fatool - drums.

Lover Come Back to Me

Blue Moon

Two Sixteen West Seven-O

Cherry

Pretty Blues

Big Deal

Boogie

Hot Pepper

Google shows that he was a member of Andy Kirk and Howard McGhee orchestras. Other than that, I find little info on this tenor sax man. One post did however describe him as being out of the Hawk school. Odd little find.

Edited by slide_advantage_redoux

• 1 month later...

J.D. King played with McGhee in Andy Kirk's big band, but then Lord has a separate entry for one James King playing tenor on McGhee's own recordings. I suppose it really is the same guy. There are some hot tenor battles with Teddy Edwards on the McGhee tracks, if memory serves me right. Otherwise he shows up as sideman on a handful of sessions in the late 40s, but the Tampa album seems to be the last mark he made discographically.

Not that it would have been a "nostalgia" label at all (more one relying on local talent), but Tampa seems to have had a habit of bringing other musicians to the fore who had been known in other contexts in earlier years.

Anothe example are the LPs done by former Nat Cole trio guitarist Oscar Moore for the label.

• 2 weeks later...