Glad Hamp Records

JSngry

What was released, what might be in the archives, who owns the material now, is it worthy of consideration for a thorough investigation/reissue, etc.

All this is prompted by a hearing of the Glad Hamp LP of Hamp in Europe that, although predictable in material, was totally smoking in terms of performance. And then there's something completely different, but equally intriguing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0B8NM_F7cY

I mean, hey, neither Goodman, Wilson, nor Krupa ever went here...

I've got a Glad-Hamp 45 (signed by Lionel); one side is "Advent", from a 1982 Japanese concert that was released on Paddle Wheel and Timeless. The other side is something else, though, and isn't listed in my Lord discography - it's a Latin/disco version of "Caravan," with synths, background singers, and a long, one-chord vibes solo. It's obviously a studio recording, but has very fake-sounding applause dubbed in at the end. The whole thing's a hoot.

This is the album I heard.

hampto_lion_excitingh_101b.jpg

"Flyin' Home" (outstanding extended Andy McGhee solo!), "How high The Moon", a blues, and one "Confirmation-ish original by John Neeley (who was in the band at the time, as were Harold Mabern, Virgil Jones, Eddie Pazant, Bobby Plater, and not Mr. Mackell!). Other than McGhee's spot, it's Hamp all the way, live and unhindered. Like I said, very predictable material, but the guy is on even more than usual, or so it seems to me, and...no complaints about that.

Gladys was a crook, flat out, and however much that might have been a defensive posture at one time...

I'm VERY "glad" it was someone else humping those nasty hocks and not I.

Listen again to Jamil Nasser's interview with Phil Schaap about Oscar Dennard for just one small bit of evidence. Don't think Schaap was leading Jami on, either. First, Jamil is his own man 100% and second, Schaap, if anything, tries to protect-- or at least deflect from-- Gladys, despite the difficulty of doing so.

hampto_lion_madeinjap_101b.jpg

P8170194.jpg

Thomas Chapin Reeds (Multiple) Tom Chapin Saxophone, Soloist John Colianni Piano, Soloist Todd Coolman Bass Chris Culhaugen Trombone Vince Cutro Soloist, Trumpet Ricky Ford Arranger, Reeds (Multiple), Saxophone, Soloist John Gordon Trombone Chris Gulhaugen Trombone Lionel Hampton Soloist, Vibraphone Duffy Jackson Drums Paul Jeffrey Reeds (Multiple), Saxophone, Soloist Yoshiaki Malta Producer, Reeds (Multiple), Saxophone John Marshall ?, Soloist, Trumpet Yoichi Nakao A&R Barry Ries Soloist, Trumpet Charles Stephens Soloist, Trombone Hatsuro Takanami Mixing Engineer Motohiko Takawa Producer Bill Titone Producer Sam Turner Percussion Johnny Big Moose Walker ?, Trumpet Glenn Wilson Reeds (Multiple), Saxophone, Soloist

innnnnteresssstiiiinnngggggg.....

hampto_lion_madeinjap_101b.jpg

P8170194.jpg

Thomas Chapin Reeds (Multiple) Tom Chapin Saxophone, Soloist John Colianni Piano, Soloist Todd Coolman Bass Chris Culhaugen Trombone Vince Cutro Soloist, Trumpet Ricky Ford Arranger, Reeds (Multiple), Saxophone, Soloist John Gordon Trombone Chris Gulhaugen Trombone Lionel Hampton Soloist, Vibraphone Duffy Jackson Drums Paul Jeffrey Reeds (Multiple), Saxophone, Soloist Yoshiaki Malta Producer, Reeds (Multiple), Saxophone John Marshall ?, Soloist, Trumpet Yoichi Nakao A&R Barry Ries Soloist, Trumpet Charles Stephens Soloist, Trombone Hatsuro Takanami Mixing Engineer Motohiko Takawa Producer Bill Titone Producer Sam Turner Percussion Johnny Big Moose Walker ?, Trumpet Glenn Wilson Reeds (Multiple), Saxophone, Soloist

innnnnteresssstiiiinnngggggg.....

Yeah, the saxophone section personnel is pretty amazing. Unfortunately, there are no sax solos on "Advent," the one track I've got on 45. It ain't eight minutes long, either.