Newk's Time

.:.impossible

Applause vinyls were pretty visible in the '80s. The label reissued a number of BN albums including several by Jimmy Smith, Stanley Turrentine...

At least 'Newk's Time' preserved the original BN cover. The others came out with unattractive covers that were a disgrace when compared to the original ones!

Never felt the need to purchase any of Applause albums since BN LPs were still available at the time.

I had a few Applause recordings. Filled the odd gap until the real thing came along. Blakey's Witch Doctor come to mind. In fact I still have Jimmy Smith Plays Fats Waller on an Applause cd.

cover art was poor, notes lacking and cheap looking presentation.

I have a couple of them. Grant Green's 'Am I Blue' being one of them (I think it cost me 50 cents $Cdn in West Edmonton Mall :D ). Cover art looks like a cheap monotone facsimile of the original with a layer of colour over the top (often dung brown). Sound of these is about up there with French Pathe Marconi DMM. Not great.

The one I used to see very often on this label is Bobby Hutcherson's 'Natural Illusions'.

Edited by sidewinder

• 11 months later...

I found a DMM Introducing Johnny Griffin at a shop in Knoxville over the weekend. 1985 manufactured for Manhattan Records by EMI France. Printed in USA. No mention of Pathe Marconi. I know about the infamous disgrace that BN lovers associate with Pathe Marconi, so I decided to take a shot.

Folks hate Applause, but Newk's Time sounds fantastic.

I don't have anything to complain about this Johnny Griffin record. Ive read the criticisms of DMM. I don't have anything to compare it to either.

This who know, how different does this actually sound from the original?

All this to say that it seems my ears are worthless.

Is anyone familiar with Applause vinyl?

I found a beautiful copy of Newk's Time yesterday for cheap and it sounds incredible. I'm wondering what the story is here? How many BN titles did they license? The cover is beautiful!

What inscriptions are there in the deadwax of your vinyl? I've heard that some of these Applause reissues even used the original RVG-cut stampers. Maybe that's why it sounds so good?