Los Angeles Jazz Institute Big Band Weekend

jazzkrow

Here is a pdf of the line-up:

http://www.lajazzinstitute.org/images/e1.pdf

Looks promising to me.

Big bands of Toshiko and Lew, Bill Holman, Dusko Goykovich, Valery Ponamarev, and many more...

Anyone interested in going?

At the LAX Marriott Hotel.

Send me a PM if you want to discuss.

I have been to many of the LAJI weekends- non-stop music, films, and panel discussions...

(this may have been posted before-I am just trying to gauge interest from West Coasters...)

• 2 weeks later...

NO interest from West coasters for this Festival with nice big band line-up?

Nice opportunity to see Guido Basso, Dusko Goykovich, Valery Ponamarev, and Lew and Toshiko Big Bands among many others?

Was hoping to find someone to share accomodations for Fri-and Sat night-hotel has good rates.

You can also buy individual tix for concerts without buying the whole weekend package.

Check pdf I posted.

I would plan on arriving Friday and leaving Sunday night so only 2 nights lodging needed?

PM if you want more info.

As regards the original Rob McConnell & The Boss Brass crew, although it indicates Guido Basso and Ian MacDougall will attend, I think that's not going to happen.

From this end, Don Thompson and Terry Clarke will be there, and other BB vets will include the fine trumpeter John MacLeod (who has his own terrific band now), and french horn player Brad Warnaar, who was in the band in his Toronto days...

It looks like a pretty damn good lineup, for all that... (Terry Clarke tells me he'll play drums with the Toshiko Akiyoshi band, too, as he did in his New York days).

Sensational!

(Unfortunately, my Greater Manchester senior citizen's travel pass won't quite get me there!)

Maybe it will get you to the door of Cafe Otto though to collect those 10 beers ! :D

One of the 'sleeper' events at these Fests is the daily post-breakfast film session from 9-10am - I'm assuming that it is Mark Cantor that is presenting these sessions. They usually have some fascinating and rare video snippets from Mr Cantor's collection.

Hopefully there will be some good stalls there too selling memorabilia. 1999 was a great year, with Ray Avery (now sadly passed on) selling some of his signed prints and Bill Claxton signing copies of his book. Ray was taking lots of shots of the bands that year too.

Edited by sidewinder