gentlemen will do anything for a rise

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9-11-yellow-display-side-by-sideangle.jpg

dozens of newspaper readers ideas and photos have been censored, and perhaps accounts suspended.

the actions are ostensibly to protect the public and/or individuals from personal attacks.

that's ok. it's their business; it's their rules.

who is looking out for the eyes and delicate impressionable minds of our youngsters??

here are some 9-11 coloring books, aimed at our 'mature' kids.

how many of 3 and 4 year olds watched the 9-11 horror with us while we shared popcorn; how many diverted the youngster with another activity?

at watch age should youngsters see the ugliness of the world that come into our homes each night, enlighten and entertain us.

there is the issue of the insensitive portrayal of muslims in some of the books, but my views are directed at the overall general pictures our youngsters were to color.

do 'mature' kids in your family still do coloring books, even at 3 or 4??

heck, no.

they are into more exciting electronic gizmos, sometimes using our own better than we do.

local children's services officials have spoken to me about routinely available sex and violence and worse, and news which is piped into all of our homes, and all too often, the effect on these young folks too often molds their behavior and character abhorrent, crude, and violent.

what they see, hear, and learn in schools would give you and me an education about lack of taste.

a couple of properly tattoed, pretty, young high schoolers recently pointed out some web sites to me that made me feel like an out of touch quaker.

i'm no quaker.

the depictions you and i saw in our books and movies, and discussions of nazis, or japanese citizens or indians was blatantly and purposefully crude, too, but are we doing any better now, or as well.

we won't be going back to howdy-doody time, capt. kangaroo, or romper room, but our children, their children and society, are paying a horrible price for the, whoevwer is to blame, inability to parent or control what they experience

July_09_Artifact.jpgAPRIL 29-2009--The Federal Emergency Management Agency has removed a children's coloring book from its web site following criticism over its inclusion of drawings of the September 11 terrorist attack oAPRIL 29--The Federal Emergency Management Agency has removed a children's coloring book from its web site following criticism over its inclusion of drawings of the September 11 terrorist attack on the World Trade Center. The coloring book, titled 'A Scary Thing Happened,' is geared towards helping kids 'cope with disasters,' and was prepared by a Minnesota crisis response team. Until yesterday, the coloring book could be downloaded from the FEMA web site. As seen below, the coloring book's cover montage includes a drawing of one of the Twin Towers on fire as a plane approaches the second building. A similar image, which children could color in, appears on page 12 of the book. If you'd like a copy of the entire 25-page coloring book, click here to download a PDF. The coloring book was created in 2003 for the Freeborn County Crisis Response Team and was illustrated by Marlys Jentoft, a 68-year-old grandmother of 10. In an interview, Jentoft, pictured above, told TSG she was unaware of the recent criticism of the coloring book, but would redo the drawings if asked. Jentoft, who volunteers for the Red Cross and church and crime victims groups, said that she did not give much thought to including the 9/11 images since, 'I feel like it was happening in the world and kids saw it. It is life.' (2 pages)

fema-kids.jpg

world-trade-center-before-9-11-coloring-page.jpg

The-Kids-Book-of-Freedom-013.jpg

twinkle twinkle little star

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Edited by alocispepraluger102

lawyers are scumbags until you need them. then you sometimes may want to hug them.

Picture051-6.jpg

Picture108-1.jpg

Picture347.jpg

Picture273-2.jpg

in colorado, 2 years ago a burglar broke into an auto lot and, since the place had been broken into before, the owners of the place were lying in wait with rifles, and when 2 people broke in, they started firing, even though neither of the assailants had displayed a weapon.

one of the 2 intruders made an escape over the fence and one did not.

robert johnson fox was killed hiding inside a shed when a 45 caliber rifle bullet pierced his heart.

the d.a. office declined to file charges, sending the case to a grand jury which returned no indictment.

a civil suit was filed against the lot owners on BEHALF OF THE THEN 8 MONTH OLD DAUGHTER of the deceased burglar, a jury has awarded her $269,000 for loss of companionship and future earnings.

i thought when somebody broke into my place, not necessarily residence, it was the fault of whomever broke in.

the lawsuit proceedings deemed robert fox a trespasser. the 2 trespassers were meth users who needed money.

the 2 owners waited to ambush with deadly force with an h&k 45 caliber urban assault rifle and a 9 mm. handgun. when they saw the 2 intruders, they charged out with weapons blazing.

they didn't say to stop or i'll shoot or anything of the sort.

they said instead "we're going to get you ----ers." the property owners used the self-defense defense; the court, and colorado state law determined that the owners lives or serious bodily harm weren't threatened.

one escaping intruder and one hiding weren't considered serious bodily threats.

the threshold is much higher if one is defending their nonresidential property.

colorado has a make my day law which allows shooting an intruder on your dwelling, which doesn;t apply to your shed on your property.

robert fox had knives strapped to his ankles.

the property owners said that shot weapons into the shed not knowing if anyone was inside.

the lawsuit was filed by the 8 month old, at the time, daughter. fox, the father wasn't married to the child's mother.

a suit for a loss of companionship and loss of earnings from a meth user seem like a bit of a stretch.

projected future earnings from a 20 year old meth user with a long record might seem to be reaches, as well.

what do you think of this lawsuit and the jury verdict? some states might have charged the property owners with murder.

brahms requiem(finale)

berliner

abbado

coherence is overrated--aloc's tribute to political and religious discussion

250px-Running_in_Circles.jpg

going_in_circles.jpg

going-in-circles.jpg

going-in-circles1.jpg

mban2527l.jpg

Picture020-9.jpg

Picture103-5.jpg

Picture151-2.jpg

Picture030-13.jpg

Picture059-4.jpg

the late marion brown

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5jIJqnmUUE

the late 'ghoulardi' ernie anderson

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=e52cXCrmauc

c. miller chevrolet commercial 1979

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=s-sZhR7lCAY

c. miller chevrolet commercial 1979

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=bEYq2r9AF1U

sonny-stitt-is-bad.jpg

we spend lives plotting our trails from this moment to wherever, whenever, anywhere.

media are fiends on feeding us news on what's going to happen, most of it balderdash.

<br type="_moz">

we never ever check back to see if they were right; we are obsessed with the next event.

we 'need' to 'know' the future.

the passions to deal with reality and yet dismiss it are every waking second gnawing at our heels.

Picture109-4.jpg

Picture109-4.jpg

Picture222-2.jpg

Picture235.jpg

Picture263.jpg

Picture277-1.jpg

Picture460.jpg

country singer geo. jones is 80 years old today.

radio station wsm will be featuring his music tonight.

host eddie stubbs will be playing all george jones recordings from 8pm our time to 1am.

http://www.wsmonline...ay-celebration/

like jazz, today's country music is on the rocks, but it had its day, and george jones was an essential ingredient.

who would have bet on the possum making 80???

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=1R2F9f2Cl6Y

Dog-Poohing-on-Credit-Cards-62981.jpg

il_fullxfull207876203.jpg

kuranosukegorgeousexpress.jpg

has your credit/debit card been violated??

how many have you been reissued after your information was stolen????

our national credit card issuers are dragging their feet on updating their security technology and we are all paying a huge price.

the next time you swipe your card, know that magnetic stripes are unsafe. while we merrily swipe away, remember that our credit card method is on the verge of extinction in the rest of the world.

http://www.creditcar...curity-3183.php

http://www.creditcar...t-card-1267.php

http://www.creditcar...europe-1273.php

Beware the next time you want to use your credit card at the check-out counter. This ritual is pretty out-dated and the rest of the world does not do this anymore. The US is the only developed country that seems to be hanging on to the debit cards and credit cards with the magnetic stripes, the ones that you normally swipe at retail outlets.

All the other developed nations have switched over to the smart cards or the chip-based cards. The magnetic stripes on the back of these credit cards are very unsafe. Having account information on that magnetic stripe is as good as writing the information on the post card. All the information that is on the on the magnetic stripe can be copied easily. US merchants, consumers, and banks are spending billions each year to prevent credit card fraud.

The advantage with the smart cards is the fact that the information cannot be copied. Hence, this helps in reducing fraud. These smart cards have the built-in chips and they are equivalent to having it in a safe. The information on these smart cards can only be unlocked with the use of the right key. Since the key information remains hidden, these cards cannot be replicated.

However, the magnetic stripes seem to be so entrenched in the entire system in US that the retailers, banks, and payment processors have been unable to come to a consensus regarding revamping the entire system. At the moment, US are left behind the rest of the world and that is creating problems for the US citizens.

Mallory Duncan who is the general counsel of the National Retail Federation states that the card system in the nation has been dysfunctional for quite some time now. There seems to be an increase in credit card fraud due to the technology which is so outdated. This should have been fixed a long time ago.

Now, there are serious steps that are being taken to swap the conventional cards for the cards for the smart cards in the next few years.

Visa had announced some change in policies last month and that will give the banks and the stores in the US a reason to make the switch and start accepting them at least starting from 2015.

This is a watershed moment states Eric Schindewolf who is the product manager for 'smart cards' at Wells Fargo. He added that a number of smart cards are likely to come out in the near future.

clapton

picture104-5.jpg

speaking of toast,

a talented news journal employee bakes some of the most delightful whole grain and sourdough breads i've tasted, and she generously shares them with her community.

Holly Harmon Fackler, the mansfield news journal online editor, bakes just a few loaves of her very own special recipe breads weekly for area farm markets and Paul Kemerling's new north main st. premium coffee shop Relax, It's Just Coffee.

miss holly was up baking her treasures before dawn this morning.

picture103-6.jpg

as jim sangrey just wrote, "The bread is smiling at itself for being so damn good.

I love it when that happens!"

picture102-4.jpg

Picture100-3.jpg

Picture099-7.jpg

picture106-5.jpg

delius

the song of the high hills

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=sMpElB955hQ

Picture117-5.jpgsigns, signs,signs.......

many are sent; most never received or regarded.

strangely, you and i see many signals(body language, expressions) and signs that were never sent, water and nurture them, and we become fools.....

Picture112-2.jpg

Picture113-2.jpg

Picture111-4.jpg

Picture067-4.jpg

Picture061-6.jpg

Picture047-7.jpg

Picture048-1.jpg

Picture046-6.jpg

going home

amina claudine myers

Picture097-11.jpg

(1024x768)

you won't catch me near a crowded stadium or noisy sports bar with the public, or in front of my tv, for that matter, on a nice autumn weekend afternoon, or even a nasty one.

i know you can access the broadcasts on your phone, but i enjoy listening to an exciting broadcast by knowledgeable analysts with historic perspectives on radio, where i can enjoy the beauty of an autumn day or do a few errands or chores.

wifi radios are the coming rage; they are REAL great, and i own one. a laptop is a great broadcast source, as well.

jim donovan is back in the booth doing the browns radio broadcasts.

the pittsburgh steeler broadcaster bill hilgrove can be picked up on wwva wheeling on any of these fine little radios, as long as i stay out of a steel building.

there are lots of network radio nfl and college radio broadcasts.

the bears are received easily in daytime or at night on wbbm radio.

a couple of stations carry the indianapolis colts, and on good nights, the redskins and saints games can be heard.

the new york giants games are on wfan at night, and night comes earlui in winter.

15 or 20 college football broadcasts, or more, can be heard every weekend.

a personal favorite of mine is the exceptional longtime michigan state broaadcaster(detroit pistons, too) george blaha. marv homan, the former ohio state SID, he of original creative language, with his delightful sidekick, kenny keller, who didn't know a football from a grasshopper were absolute delights.

if you can find a tiny tiny slide rule tuned am radio with great sound, a fine tuner and selectivity, and great battery life, at least 250 hours, you can enjoy all the beauty and freedom of an autumn afternoon.

my grundig boy(1982) is a miraculous little radio.

the exceptional ge pocket radios of 1983 have been unmatched today, have matchless performance.

that little ge radio has been dropped on cement and asphalt at least 100 times, and is still an incredible performer. for 28 years, the little $5 battered box has been my sidekick, at work and play.

the sony srf-59 is comparatively new with a design only going back a dozen years or so. the tuner is just incredible and the sound circuits are the same as in sony radios costing $200. the only knock on this $12 sony, or less radio is that it's nowhere near as durable as the other 3. i dropped one and the sensitive built in antenna disconnected. the radio runs with one little aaa battery for hundreds of hours.

i love my little 4 or 5 dollar greybeard radios; with a quality set of headphones, they add immensely to my enjoyment of autumn. family dollar has a great high sensitivity durable phones for 5 bucks.

koss portapro headphones cost about $30, with a lifetime guarantee. send the old set, and koss will send a replacement pair.

their sound is great for the money, but the wires are thin and flimsy. i've trashed 2 pairs in about 6 months; you can't use them for high stress activities like running.

Picture098-2.jpg

Picture094-3.jpg

Picture092-5.jpg

you just cant beat excitement like this.

Picture019-11.jpg

.3 mm mechanical(drafting) pencils have been a personal favorite for 30 years, since i filled data on tiny lines in manila folders.

fat lines are gross. i still write so tiny that most folks can't read it.

skinny leads have to be pretty soft, because the hard ones break. writing with .3 mm leads simultaneously requires a delicate and firm even touch.

we all have things we wont compromise; i refuse to write with fat leads.

Picture026-12.jpg

Picture030-14.jpg

Picture032-10.jpg

threeclassiccenturymechanicalpencils.jpg

MegaBrandsTheWriteDudesMechanicalpencilssampledoodlesb.jpg

3mm-Leads.jpg

Picture016-16.jpg

coltrane

after the rain

september in the rain

Picture130-4.jpg

(1024x768)

the fed came out 2 days ago and did 'operation-twist', which knowledgeable observers have been suggesting for 6 months would happen.

the fed also noted 'significant risk' to the economy sliding into another recession, blaming europe, etc.

the fed is going to take about 400 billion dollars and shove it from the short side of the curve(the fed owns a lot of short 6 months to a year paper).

they are going to sell that and buy 30 year paper instead with the idea of lowering long term mortgage rates so folks can 'better afford.' home mortgages.

they are also take the money they are making on the mortgages they already bought and buying more mortgages from the banks.

we already have a long term rate of about 3.1%. too high long term interest rates are NOT a problem with this economy.

fixing THAT problem wouldn't be high on my agenda.

you couldn't write fiction like this.

EVERYBODY knows that the mortgage problem is that people can't refinance because the lending rules have changed and housing values have dropped AND people have income problems.

it has NOTHING at all to do with the mortgage rate.

this is the wrong cure for the wrong problem.

are they doing it because they don't know what else to do?

the fed is going to buy 30 year treasury notes, sell them at 100, and rebuy them at 144.

i call that dysfunctional.

then they are going to buy more mortgages from banks(helping them out) that won't give loans to folks like you and me.

had the fed missed the boat this time?

i think they may have missed this boat.

Picture129-5.jpg

Picture112-3.jpg

Picture100-4.jpg

Picture095-3.jpg

49137811.jpg

one of the 2 finest new recordings released this year, in my opinion, is by the sardinian(italian) pianist august pirroda, the bassist with the beautiful technique and tone, gary peacock , and the spellbinding american drummer, percussian genius paul motian.

the graceful magical rhythms and harmonies they develop are way beyond my capacity to fathom, but i love to hear and try to understand the ever changing patterns, using and unbelievable stretching of space, and just enjoy the sheer beauty of a magnificent majestic piano trio.

hopefully, there will be a sequel soon.

brribop!!!!!!!

Picture020-13.jpg

the 1976 columbia masterworks vinyl<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-family: arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">not classical, not pop, but some glorious indefinable area between...............<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-family: arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">the massive impossible streisand ego is repressed for but one album.<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-family: arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">one of a kind...........

as i listened to that old vinyl recording at dawn, these september dusk images came to mind.

the image of 2 beautiful butterflies who have passed away on the gravel during their beautiful life ending mating ritual is sometimes too painful.....

<br type="_moz">

<br type="_moz">

a translation from the french---

When streams turn pink in the setting sun,<br style="font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; ">And a slight shudder rushes through the wheat fields,<br style="font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; ">A plea for happiness seems to rise out of all things<br style="font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; ">And it climbs up towards the troubled heart.<br style="font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; ">A plea to relish the charm of life<br style="font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; ">While there is youth and the evening is fair,<br style="font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; ">For we pass away, as the wave passes:<br style="font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; ">The wave to the sea, we to the grave.

(1024x768)

Picture017-14.jpg

Picture023-10.jpg

Picture033-10.jpg

Picture039-12.jpg

Picture041-13.jpg

Picture042-9.jpg

008.jpg

beau soir

streisand