David Fathead Newman

There is a new 'record store' on the downtown Denton square. I was hanging with my kid when I discovered it.

Not expecting much I went in. To my surprise they do have vinyl....new vinyl. But of course no jazz there. I did spot a used bin and what did I stumble across?

A real local score!

Well it isn't an early leader date. I was wrong there.

David Newman "Front Money" / Warner Bros 1977

Recorded in Dallas

Arrangements by D. Newman, Roger Boykin and Claude Johnson (the latter two also Dallas local players)

David Newman - alto,tenor,soprano sax and flute

R. Boykin - bass/guitar

William Richardson (W.A.) - drums

C. Johnson - piano/bari sax

Adolphe Washington (A.D.) - congos

Cleveland Gay - trombone

All the sidemen are Dallas players

(but I am not sure about Cleveland Gay)

Mint condition but a cut out

Edited by slide_advantage_redoux

I vaguely recall hearing some of this on the radio at the time of its release and finding it to be a misguided commercial effort (I seem to recall that the title track has vocals repeating "Front Money..."), so I never bought it--but I would be happy to be told that my memory or impression is/was incorrect in whole or in part.

Commercial, yes, but misguided...maybe not. IIRC, Fathead was living in the area at the time, this was his local band, and they played what was being played a lot in South Dallas, they be representin', to use the vernacular. It's definitely got that thing.

What it has beyond that, hey, maybe not much, but in this case, given the whos and the whens, I'm ok with that.