Looking for clubs to play at in Austin

Johnny E

Good news for Austinites. The Daniel Johnston mural pictured below was in danger of being torn down since The Sound Exchange, the record store whose southern wall it consumes, closed down over the summer. The restaurant that's moving into that space was planning on tearing down that wall on Tuesday but announced Wednesday that, due to public outcry coupled with a story on the local news, it will preserve the mural and construct windows instead on either side.

1761038564171l.jpg

Man, I loved Austin when I was there during the eighties. Great food, great music (not a lot of jazz, but some great alternatives), and it wasn't overly "discovered" at that point. Threadgills....Katz's deli......Salt Lick....Elgin sausage.....Mitch Watkins (I know he's still around), Roscoe Beck, Steve Meador, Paul Ostermeyer.......County Line........Trudy's....I guess we went down this road once before, on another thread, but I do loves the Austin town! I hope to get back there sometime soon. Heard Miles there, heard Metheny there, etc. Sorry to digress................ :rhappy:

Edited for spelling, as usual.

Edited by Free For All

Hmmm. . . I loved Austin in the 'eighties too. . . I don't feel the same way about it now. It's gotten too big for its britches logistically, doesn't have the same vibe and is too expensive to really enjoy fully (in my opinion.)

Anyway, I don't have too much to offer. I used to be a miniscule part of the Austin music scene and it so frustrated and irritated me that I don't take part in the music scene much at all as a customer these days. The Elephant Room is THE place I would say, and Brandon is right, they rarely book acts that are further out than Tom Harrell; the most adventurous group I've seen there was probably Sam Rivers fronting a local band. . . it was conservative Rivers in many ways (great show.)

Good luck!

Good news for Austinites.  The Daniel Johnston mural pictured below was in danger of being torn down since The Sound Exchange, the record store whose southern wall it consumes, closed down over the summer.  The restaurant that's moving into that space was planning on tearing down that wall on Tuesday but announced Wednesday that, due to public outcry coupled with a story on the local news, it will preserve the mural and construct windows instead on either side. 

1761038564171l.jpg

I drove by there this past summer and was sad to see that they'd closed. That always seemed to be a UT landmark, if not an Austin landmark. I am glad the new tenants will be keeping that mural. It's a good reminder of what Austin used to be like. :(

Edited by Big Al

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Man, I loved Austin when I was there during the eighties. Great food, great music (not a lot of jazz, but some great alternatives), and it wasn't overly "discovered" at that point. Threadgills....Katz's deli......Salt Lick....Elgin sausage.....Mitch Watkins (I know he's still around), Roscoe Beck, Steve Meador, Paul Ostermeyer.......County Line........Trudy's....I guess we went down this road once before, on another thread, but I do loves the Austin town! I hope to get back there sometime soon. Heard Miles there, heard Metheny there, etc. Sorry to digress................ :rhappy:

Edited for spelling, as usual.

Funny thing. I just discovered this thread (never saw it when it was new) and I wanted to point out the mention of my uncle (by marriage) Paul Ostermeyer. Paul's the sweetest guy I've ever met and is a hell of a musician. He played with Leonard Cohen for a while (I got to see Leonard for free back in the early 90s because of Paul, a wonderful concert that I would have gladly paid to see). Paul has recorded with my aunt Suzi (his sister-in-law) on several occasion (as has Mitch Watkins). They did an amazing version of "So What" with lyrics by Suzi. Suzi (who still performs in the Austin area) has also collaborated with Joe Henderson. Very cool family to be apart of. :g