Noite Ilustrada - What About This Guy?

JSngry

Found this 1960 album on the internet, and really like the songs, grooves, & singing. The song "Play-Boy" in particular hits a sweet spot with me. Most YouTube videos are of a later vintage and/or feature a significantly more conspicuous "pop" production esthetic than does this one. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

noite+P.JPG

English information about the man seems spotty at best after a few half-hearted Google searches. The music isn't really bossa..."samba" perhaps? Either way, the harmonies in the arrangements seem to show an awareness of "modern jazz", and the rhythmic feel is definitely inching towards a bossa-ish "floatiness"...a time of transition, perhaps? Or not?

Brazillian music is such a deep well & I've got little more than a dipper into it... any information and/or edification welcome.

Edited by JSngry

Love it when that happens!

I was really...distressed about the YouTube results...no gems there. so I was wondering if this was a guy who was fresh early and then went soft, or what, including maybe that the stuff on YouTube is stuff that I'm just not getting.

Mário Sousa Marques Filho (Pirapetinga, 10 de abril de 1928 — Atibaia, 28 de julho de 2003), mais conhecido como Noite Ilustrada, foi um cantor, compositor e violonista brasileiro.

O pseudônimo foi dado por Zé Trindade, que comandava a revista musical Noite Ilustrada em Além Paraíba (Minas Gerais), onde o jovem Mário começou a carreira de violonista.

----

doesn't look that deep? MSMF born P ... died A ... better known as Noite Illustrada was a Brasilion singer, composer and violin player. He received his nickname from ZT who directed the revue Noite Illustrada in Alem Paraiba (province of Minas Gerais) where a young Mario started his career as a violin player....

and then there are two sentences about how he got his first record deal, and after the discography two sentences about he died...

you can try Google Translate or Babelfish, which will mangle text to varying degrees, but you really don't need it for the list of his recordings.

He was a member of the Portela samba school (in Rio) and seems to have made a bunch of samba recordings.

http://www.dicionariompb.com.br/noite-ilustrada

http://www.allbrazilianmusic.com/artistas/ver/noite-ilustrada

Edited by seeline