Mat Maneri

7/4

better late than never but why now? why not now but there was dozens of opportunities to see Mat with the other Papa Joe i hope you availed yourself 1.75 just won't do too bad Billy Bang LeRoy Jenkins Michael White & Maneri never recorded together & now they never will

My new hero. Happy Birthday man.

but I did see them around!

I've been listening to to Mat a lot lately. I think he's so unique. I'm particularly crazy about So What? (hatology 529). He really comes up with some crazy textures from his instrument....man.

but I did see them around!

I've been listening to to Mat a lot lately. I think he's so unique. I'm particularly crazy about So What? (hatology 529). He really comes up with some crazy textures from his instrument....man.

He' s very impressive on Algonquin with Cecil, not just holding his own (that's hard enough I would imagine) but takes charge at times and moves the music in his direction. By the Laws of Music with Matt Shipp is also a favourite of mine. Haven't got into his leader dates. Any recs? And I haven't forgotten the stuff with Papa Jo...

good shows - I should be at the 10/12 show:

The Stone NYC

10/11 Tuesday (KR)

8 pm

Mat Maneri, Kris Davis, Ingrid Laubrock

Mat Maneri (viola) Kris Davis (piano) Ingrid Laubrock (sax)

10 pm

Mat Maneri, Ed Schuller, Randy Peterson

Mat Maneri (viola) Ed Schuller (bass) Randy Peterson (drums)

10/12 Wednesday (MJ)

8 pm

Mat Maneri, Matt Moran, Garth Stevenson, Randy Peterson

Mat Maneri (viola) Matt Moran (vibes) Garth Stevenson (bass) Randy Peterson (drums)

10 pm

Mat Maneri, Lucian Ban, John Herbert, Gerald Gleaver

Mat Maneri (viola) Lucian Ban (piano)

John Herbert (bass) Gerald Gleaver (drums)

Edited by Steve Reynolds

• 2 weeks later...

I just added the Cecil to the want list on my phone.

got it last weekend, two listens in and I love it.

I also got Trinity, a solo album on ECM...perfect for that label and a bunch of others I'll get into later.

Still crazy about So What?

• 1 year later...

See my recent comments over the past few years regarding seeing him a whole lot live over the past 2 years.

To my ears among the best 3 or 4 improvisers on the planet

The quintet with Oscar Noriega and Randy Peterson needs to be recorded

With either Kris Davis or Craig Taborn on the piano and it would be great if Ed Schuller is on bass.

The duo CD with Lucien Ban is nice

Capricorn Climber does NOT capture that band and especially does NOT capture what Mat is like live with that band.

A damn shame that Mat Maneri isn't served well on recent recordings.

Then again I'm blessed to be able to see him often usually within 10 feet where I can hear and feel his genius.

And the memories of seeing him with his Dad a few times with the classic quartet will always resonate with me.

Last time this year with Randy and Ed was especially intense. But he may have played even better with Kris and the trio with Ches Smith and Craig Taborn was the best 2 sets of music I've heard this year.

See my recent comments over the past few years regarding seeing him a whole lot live over the past 2 years.

With either Kris Davis or Craig Taborn on the piano and it would be great if Ed Schuller is on bass.

Capricorn Climber does NOT capture that band and especially does NOT capture what Mat is like live with that band.

Then again I'm blessed to be able to see him often usually within 10 feet where I can hear and feel his genius.

And the memories of seeing him with his Dad a few times with the classic quartet will always resonate with me.

Last time this year with Randy and Ed was especially intense. But he may have played even better with Kris and the trio with Ches Smith and Craig Taborn was the best 2 sets of music I've heard this year.

Not going to see him here in the great southwest - so (among others) Capricorn Climber will have to do. :shrug[1]::tophat:

Not going to see him here in the great southwest - so (among others) Capricorn Climber will have to do. :shrug[1]::tophat:

Mat is still working on getting his own label started - if that happens then everyone will get to hear *his* music