CD Burner Problem

John Tapscott

I was making some CDR's for fellow Board members, and ran into this. Never had it before. Halfway through the burn, the CDR is ejected with the message bad disc or diry disc. But they are new discs and it happens with a couple of different brands. It's a pain, because once they're ejected they're toast. I slowed down the burn speed to the slowest possible but it still happens. It also happens when when I try a burn from one drive to another.

Any possible solutions or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

I was making some CDR's for fellow Board members, and ran into this. Never had it before. Halfway through the burn, the CDR is ejected with the message bad disc or diry disc. But they are new discs and it happens with a couple of different brands. It's a pain, because once they're ejected they're toast. I slowed down the burn speed to the slowest possible but it still happens. It also happens when when I try a burn from one drive to another.

Any possible solutions or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Yeah, I've had this happen from time to time. It is frustrating. I actually find that a middle setting (not highest or lowest speed) is more reliable. Other things to watch for -- are all the files coming from one location or are they on different drives? Sometimes waiting 10 minutes after a successful burn for the next one may help (the burner may be overheating).

Change from Windows Media Player to iTunes sorted things out for me.

You were using Windows Media Player to burn CDs? Did you make sure that it wasn't automatically "leveling" the audio? Earlier versions of WMP defaulted to this setting.

BTW, if you are duplicating CDs, I still think Exact Audio Copy is the king.