Gigi Gryce

jlhoots

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will not get it, have 7 of the 8, it's such a shame that "Reminiscin'" (which I don't have) have never been reissued on CD. For must of the ones I have have I paid more for a single one than the whole set is selling for now. For instance if you could find a new copy of "Happin's" is is 90$ or more.

Vic

I will not get it, have 7 of the 8, it's such a shame that "Reminiscin'" (which I don't have) have never been reissued on CD. For must of the ones I have have I paid more for a single one than the whole set is selling for now. For instance if you could find a new copy of "Happin's" is is 90$ or more.

Vic

not long ago I commenced a thread regarding the "Reminiscin'" session, suggesting Mosaic make it one of their "singles" but I think the single line has been discontinued AFAIK

This is so black and white and not worthy of a thread. We really don't want to compensate bootleggers and people who lift art for their living, do we? There are plenty of grey areas around trading etc., i get that. But pirated goods for profit are bad for somebody (e.g. now less incentive for somebody to license Gryce work and do a quality reissue). Bad is bad and please no BS non-righteous indignation that this is somehow a stuck-up view.

Really, PLEASE FUCK OFF if you think it's ok to buy and sell this for-profit stolen shit. It's not ok. And what's worse, you know it. Killing jazz some more, ya think?

51JVRIvZe-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I just received my Gigi Gryce set today. The 4 CDs are housed in a double-wide CD case. The artwork on the front of the case is exactly as what appears above. The back of the case lists each disc and the albums, song listings as well as song times that appear on each. None of the 8 albums are broken up or split between two discs. (Each disc contains two albums.) The discs themselves are made to look like mini LPs. The booklet is primarily a catalog of other titles available but it does provide a breakdown of the musicians/instruments that appear on each album. There is no original cover art other than what you see above. There are no liner notes of any kind. It's pretty much a bare bones package though it's an attractive and well done one. I knew going into this I would be getting a bargain-aimed release so my expectations were relatively low but I have to say that this set is better than I expected and I'm very pleased with it.

I'll report on the sound once I get a chance to listen to it.

*****CAVEAT*****

Upon closer inspection, there appears to be two missing songs. "Social Call" is missing from "When Farmer Met Gryce" and "Speculation" is missing from "Nica's Tempo". It doesn't really bother me as I otherwise wouldn't have noticed but I know that it would bother completists and a lot of other people. Just know that going in so you aren't disappointed finding out later. I'll check to see if the songs appear on the disc despite not being listed.

Edited by mikelz777

"It's like getting punched hard in the face by a really hot, naked stripper. There are really good aspects and really bad aspects all at the same time."

File that under "it's only good because of what you think you're getting, not because of what you really are getting"...

*****CAVEAT*****

Upon closer inspection, there appears to be two missing songs. "Social Call" is missing from "When Farmer Met Gryce" and "Speculation" is missing from "Nica's Tempo". It doesn't really bother me as I otherwise wouldn't have noticed but I know that it would bother completists and a lot of other people. Just know that going in so you aren't disappointed finding out later. I'll check to see if the songs appear on the disc despite not being listed.

If I'm not mistaken, even closer inspection will reveal that "Smoke Signal" (3:28) and "Nica's Tempo" (5:27), both recorded February 4th, 1957, are missing from Jazz Lab (CD 2, #1-6).

F

*****CAVEAT*****

If I'm not mistaken, even closer inspection will reveal that "Smoke Signal" (3:28) and "Nica's Tempo" (5:27), both recorded February 4th, 1957, are missing from Jazz Lab (CD 2, #1-6).

F

Mr. Urbina is correct with the two additional missing numbers. It's kind of a drag but I'll live with it. My primary interest in this set was getting "Sayin' Something", "The Hap'nins" and "Reminiscin'", all which are fully intact.

I gave the Gigi Gryce set a listen and can put to rest any concerns about sound quality, the sound is just fine.

I purchased The Three Sounds set as well. The packaging and appearance are just as I described above for the Gryce. It doesn't appear that any songs were left off of The Three Sounds set.

• 5 months later...

I mentioned this on another thread but in case people missed it:

Real Gone label has a stack of 8-albums-on-four-CDs-minus-the-odd-track sets coming out including Blakey, Roach, Smith (vol 2), Farmer, Drew, Quincy Jones, Lateef, Fuller, Nina Simone, Jamal, JJ Johnson - that's on top of others already out that we may not have discussed here (Mulligan, Coltrane, Byrd, Bennie Green, Gillepsie, Mclean, Mann, Chambers, Ellington) plus many others which I think we did discuss. Don't shoot the messenger.

PS I think some of those are 3 CD sets.

*****CAVEAT*****

F

Mr. Urbina is correct with the two additional missing numbers. It's kind of a drag but I'll live with it. My primary interest in this set was getting "Sayin' Something", "The Hap'nins" and "Reminiscin'", all which are fully intact.

Well, speak of the devil (not you, Mike). Fresh Sounds has jumped in as well with a package that includes these three albums and the Rat Race Blues. FS-Gryce All of the same issues apply, but there will be marginally more effort put into the packaging and so forth. I believe all tracks from these albums are in place, but they seem to be slightly shorter albums to begin with.