Ralph Sutton

jeffcrom

I've been familiar with Ralph Sutton for years, but somehow had him pegged as nothing that special - just a good, competent trad jazz/stride piano player. About a month ago I saw a 1975 biography of Sutton, Piano Man by James Shacter, in a used bookstore. I picked it up and started reading it a few days ago. I was struck by the high praise, bordering on awe, that musician after musician gave Sutton's playing. So I decided I'd better listen a little more carefully.

I've been listening to lots of Sutton over the past few days, and I'm pretty impressed. He certainly wasn't an innovator - he's basically a follower of Fats Waller, but he definitely had his own voice. His playing seems more lyrical that Waller's, but far more muscular than Jess Stacy's, for example. His technical command of the keyboard is extremely impressive, although it's never expressed through Tatum-like runs.

I was floored by his solo on "Shine," from the June 28, 1947 "This is Jazz" radio show. (It's on Volume 6 of the Jazzology "This is Jazz" series.) It's the first tune of what must have been his first-ever national radio broadcast, and he comes up with a stunning solo. Toward the end of the first 16 bars, Sutton goes into a hemiola (displaced rhythm) pattern that he carries over into the second half of the chorus. I got lost listening to it the first time, but Sutton knew right where he was, and resolves it perfectly.

Sutton lived until 2001 (he was 79 when he died), and Shacter wrote an updated bio in 1994 called Loose Shooes. I have very little of Sotton's later work, but I'll certainly be checking it out.

Be sure you try to find some of the many recordings Ralph put out on the late John Norris' Sackville label (some of which I recorded). He made solo, piano-duo, trio, piano-with-drums-and-trumpet (Bob Barnard),-soprano (Jim Galloway). I think City Hall records is the best current source for Sackville material. ( http://www.cityhallrecords.com/artist/SUTTON,%20RALPH.htm )

Look for Sutton releases on Nif-Nug from Australia (I think Worlds Records has them), Chazz Jazz, Victoria/Gaslight, Arbors, Concord.... Geez, he was prolific! And always terrific in any setting!

I'm a BIG fan.

Love his playing! Heard a lot of him and saw him as an intermission pianist at Condon's when I was a kid.

BTW - I heard some never officially released live recordings of Ralph with Smokey Stover's band (George Brunis also on board) and he is an absolute HERO! No bass player and he's groovin' and stridin' like a mofo.

Thanks for the recommendations. I just ordered several Sutton items, including the St. George Church recital mentioned by John Tapscott and Sutton's early 10" Piano Moods LP.

And I should mention that his recordings of Bix Beiderbecke's piano compositions (In a Mist, Candlelight, Flashes, In the Dark), recorded in 1950 for Commodore, are just beautiful.

Glad to see there are fans of Sutton, a very neglected musician.

The St.George Church double CD recital is a delight!

Also like the Suttons released by Storyville. The quartet date with Ruby Braff is an old favorite!

Yes, the Quartet recordings of Ruby Braff and Ralph Sutton are highly enjoyable.

There are actually 4 cd volumes of that quartet on Storyville.

Sutton and Braff also have a CD out on Chiarscuro titled "R & R" . It is mainly

a quartet session with a few duo tracks too.