Jive/Arista/J Records are no more

trane_fanatic

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/rca-execs-confirm-jive-arista-245392

Amid some big changes in the music industry, new RCA Records CEO Peter Edge and longtime colleague Tom Corson, who was promoted to president and COO in August, have officially shuttered historic labels Arista and Jive. J Records, launched by Clive Davis in 2000 as an “instant major,” will also see its artists bequeathed to RCA...

Arista...they were a player for quite a while, and had a great jazz run in the '70s for some reason I've still not figured out....what major label is going to tell people like Cusucuna, Backer, etc. to just go ahead and record Braxton, Air, Abrams, Ran Blake, Michael Gregory Jackson(!), Oliver Lake, etc.? Other than A&M, that is, but Clive Davis gave his freaks a longer (in terms of both duration and distance) than Herb Albert gave John Snyder.

Arista...they were a player for quite a while, and had a great jazz run in the '70s for some reason I've still not figured out....what major label is going to tell people like Cusucuna, Backer, etc. to just go ahead and record Braxton, Air, Abrams, Ran Blake, Michael Gregory Jackson(!), Oliver Lake, etc.? Other than A&M, that is, but Clive Davis gave his freaks a longer (in terms of both duration and distance) than Herb Albert gave John Snyder.

Screw Mosaic for refusing to put out that Complete Arista Duet Recordings of Anthony & Toni Braxton 10-LP Box

Edited by trane_fanatic

The article says that Clive Davis founded Arista in 1974, but as I recall it was merely a matter of giving Bell Records a new name.

I remember my sister having a 45 on Bell Records about 1955 called "They Were Doing the Mambo" by Tex something and The Song Singers. In 1964 GTO by Ronnie and the Daytonas was on the Mala label, which IIRC was a Bell imprint.

PS - Yes, it says so at Wikipedia here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_Records

Edited by GA Russell