Documentary film on last vinyl record store

BillF

Looks good. Jumbo Records in Leeds is still going strong and is about the only shop I can be in without going into a trance. Great staff - friendly and knowledgeable, good music, and nextdoor to a cafe so I can coax the family into venturing in that direction. It has a fair amount of newly pressed jazz vinyl - all that 180 gram stuff - too expensive for me but it looks pretty in the window

Looks good. Jumbo Records in Leeds is still going strong and is about the only shop I can be in without going into a trance. Great staff - friendly and knowledgeable, good music, and nextdoor to a cafe so I can coax the family into venturing in that direction. It has a fair amount of newly pressed jazz vinyl - all that 180 gram stuff - too expensive for me but it looks pretty in the window

The Italian one with the great sandwiches?

I used to drive up to Leeds once a month because the record shops were so good. Haven't been for 4 or 5 years in recent times.

The Italian one with the great sandwiches?

Yes!! Though I've never sampled the sandwiches... Jumbo is still great, Relics down the road has recently re-opened after being shut for a while

Sounds like I've found what else to do when I visit Hepworth at Wakefield - LP shopping in Leeds with good sandwiches! Thanks lads

Sounds like I've found what else to do when I visit Hepworth at Wakefield - LP shopping in Leeds with good sandwiches! Thanks lads

Was in the Hepworth today funnily enough - with my two year old boy - while we were there we were filmed by somebody doing a promotional thing for something to do with art galleries (can't remember...) I had to point at a sculpture and say something to Joseph, pause for ten seconds and move on. Messed it up twice.

There used to be a great classical shop on the outside of that centre (St. John's?)...10 years gone, I suspect.

Yes - St John's. No classical shop anymore.

Was in the Hepworth today funnily enough - with my two year old boy - while we were there we were filmed by somebody doing a promotional thing for something to do with art galleries (can't remember...) I had to point at a sculpture and say something to Joseph, pause for ten seconds and move on. Messed it up twice.

Don't they say never work with children and animals....

I'm really looking forward to visiting the Hepworth - favourite artist in what looks like very sympathetic surroundings. I'll keep an eye out for the film :)

Nice to hear all this about Leeds. When I was a student there in the sixties, I used to hang out with people on the College of Music's new "Jazz and Light Music" course, including student Dave Cliff and teacher Peter Ind. Peter took us to the Harrogate Arts Festival to meet Lennie Tristano ... :rolleyes:

Nice to hear all this about Leeds. When I was a student there in the sixties, I used to hang out with people on the College of Music's new "Jazz and Light Music" course, including student Dave Cliff and teacher Peter Ind. Peter took us to the Harrogate Arts Festival to meet Lennie Tristano ... :rolleyes:

Not bad! Talking of pianists - Champion Jack Dupree was living in the area at that time I suppose? - in Halifax - but someone told me (in Jumbo) that he used to drive around in a car with 'Champion Jack' painted up the side.

Don't they say never work with children and animals....

I'm really looking forward to visiting the Hepworth - favourite artist in what looks like very sympathetic surroundings. I'll keep an eye out for the film :)

It's a great gallery, such a nice thing suddenly having this on your doorstep!

Not bad! Talking of pianists - Champion Jack Dupree was living in the area at that time I suppose? - in Halifax - but someone told me (in Jumbo) that he used to drive around in a car with 'Champion Jack' painted up the side.

Yes, Champion Jack came over from Halifax to play at Manchester University Students' Union. It was a great show with a small audience in a small room with good acoustics and a grand piano. I remember Jack making up for the lack of a backing group by drumming on the piano with the rings on his fingers! Afterwards he signed an album for Ed Dipple, later of Mole Jazz.

Wow - did Tristano have much to say? If I remember right, wasn't that Harrogate gig the only one he did on that visit to the UK.

Nice to hear all this about Leeds.

Plus of course, Mike Westbrook recorded the 'Citadel/Room 315' at the old Leeds Poly and lots of JATP tours went through both Leeds and Bradford (Alhambra). Those towns were (reet) smokin' :cool:

Edited by sidewinder

Wow - did Tristano have much to say? If I remember right, wasn't that Harrogate gig the only one he did on that visit to the UK.

After the gig we went into a little room where Lennie was interviewed by a very square guy from BBC radio whom Lennie sent up someting dreadful. Asked to talk about his latest recording session (which turned out to be solo piano), Lennie said he got up in the morning, changed the baby's diapers, washed his hands, sat down at the piano, switched on the recording machine, played and switched off the recorder after he'd finished playing. :lol:

Edited by BillF

Nice to hear all this about Leeds.

Plus of course, Mike Westbrook recorded the 'Citadel/Room 315' at the old Leeds Poly and lots of JATP tours went through both Leeds and Bradford (Alhambra). Those towns were (reet) smokin' :cool:

I never heard JATP in Leeds, though I do recall hearing the Ellington band there in the 60s. A friend who regarded himself as hip, but wasn't, spotted the band at lunch in the Queen's Hotel the next day, went up to Hodges and said, "Great concert, Duke!". "Wrong one, man," replied Hodges, nodding in the direction of Ellington. :lol:

As you say, Bradford was the place for concerts. At the St George's Hall I saw an EarlHines/Jack Teagarden band in 1957 with Max Kaminsky, Peanuts Hucko, Cozy Cole and Jack Lesberg and two years later a three-band package of the Brubeck Quartet, Dizzy's quintet with Junior Mance and Les Spann and the Buck Clayton All Stars with Emmett Berry, Earl Warren, Buddy Tate and (I think) Dickie Wells. I also recall hearing Lightning Hopkins there in a touring blues package in 1964.

Re club dates in Leeds, the Peel Hotel in Boar Lane used to get the touring stars who also went to Ernie Garside's Club 43 in Manchester. At the Peel I saw Johnny Griffin, Lee Konitz, Cecil Payne, Tubby Hayes, Joe Harriott and Chris McGregor's Blue Notes.

Didn't Satchmo also do a stint at the Batley Variety Club? (they must have squeezed him in the schedule between Tom Jones and Englebert Humperdinck) Vaguely remember hearing about that.. :rolleyes:

As you say, Bradford was the place for concerts.

I'm pretty sure a relative of mine saw most of those. Certainly caught the JATP and other Norman Granz events there (yes, I think it was St George's Hall). Sadly, I was still listening to Noddy and his Car. :(

Edited by sidewinder

Leeds had (has?) a thriving jazz scene up until a few years ago. Many of the visiting top acts would have a 'one-nighter' there as part of any European/British tour.

Over the years I've seen Dave Holland, John Scofield, Andrew Hill, Geri Allen, Tomasz Stanko, Ken Vandermark, The Bad Plus and many other playing there. Since all the tours must have been heavily subsidised by the Arts Council, I suspect those days are over! :(

I never heard JATP in Leeds, though I do recall hearing the Ellington band there in the 60s. A friend who regarded himself as hip, but wasn't, spotted the band at lunch in the Queen's Hotel the next day, went up to Hodges and said, "Great concert, Duke!". "Wrong one, man," replied Hodges, nodding in the direction of Ellington. :lol:

That kind of encounter leaves me in a cold sweat - which is why I could never approach one of my heroes I think - I'd never be able to listen to them again without cringing! (though of course they wouldn't remember it..) Like when Honeyboy Edwards was in Leeds 3 or 4 years ago he stood right next to me - I was just looking at him thinking "this man met Charlie Patton" etc. Pathetic really :lol:

Didn't Satchmo also do a stint at the Batley Variety Club? (they must have squeezed him in the schedule between Tom Jones and Englebert Humperdinck) Vaguely remember hearing about that.. :rolleyes:

Yes, I recall that Louis was there. I only went there once - to see a triple package invoving the Horace Silver Quintet with the Brecker brothers and Billy Cobham, the Muddy Waters Blues Band and a gospel group which might have been Marion Williams and the Stars of Faith, though I'm not sure. The Silver band was such a knockout that I went down to Ronnie's at the weekend and saw them again. Sat right at the front - Horace and Billy really had something going - one of the best gigs I've ever seen!

That kind of encounter leaves me in a cold sweat - which is why I could never approach one of my heroes I think - I'd never be able to listen to them again without cringing! (though of course they wouldn't remember it..) Like when Honeyboy Edwards was in Leeds 3 or 4 years ago he stood right next to me - I was just looking at him thinking "this man met Charlie Patton" etc. Pathetic really :lol:

You're not alone in that! Ed Dipple was the great blues fan, but it was me who asked Champion Jack to sign Ed's album, as Ed got stage fright! :lol: