Trombone solos - do they ruin the groove?

monkboughtlunch

I've never quite fully warmed up to trombone solos on hard bop or soul jazz recordings from the 60s. I've tried. They often sound a bit corny -- not the playing though. I think it's more the timbre of the trombone itself. It's hard to take that sound seriously, especially compared to a tenor sax or acoustic piano. If I listen to the Jazz Crusaders, I want to bypass the trombone solo. Anyone else feel the same way?

Couldn't disagree more. It's not any easy instrument to master, but those who do make it sing and swing. To my ears, a well-played bone sounds good in a big band, in a bop/hard bop/post-bop outfit, and in freer settings as well. Some people hate bass solos, others make a face when the drummer gets some. You're entitled to your personal preferences, but I think you're missing some great music by dismissing the trombone.

Edited by sonnymax

I also couldn't disagree more. As much as I love trombone jokes* and teasing the trombone players, I love the instrument:

Fred Wesley

Don Drummond

Savannah, Georgia's own Trummy Young

Athens, Georgia's own Lou McGarity

Social Circle, Georgia's own J.C. Higginbotham

Claude Jones

Roswell Rudd

George Lewis

Grachan Moncur III

J. J. Johnson

Curtis Fuller

Corey Henry

Kid Ory

Albert Mangelsdorff

Benny Morton

Lucien Barbarin

Troy "Trombone Shorty" Andrews

Lawrence Brown

Dickie Wells

Jimmy Knepper

Eddie Bert

Jack Teagarden

Miff Mole

Charlie Green

Vic Dickenson

etc., etc., etc. What a great instrument!

*My favorite trombone joke:

Q: How can you tell the trombone player's kids on the playground?

A: They don't swing and they complain about the slide.

No, love the instrument. So many great solos and soloists from Tricky Sam through to Ray Anderson.

The trombone live makes an incredible sound, so many overtones that are not captured on record. Over the years I've sat very close to several masters and these experiences rate are among my most treasured jazz memories.

Edited by JohnS

No, love the instrument. So many great solos and soloists from Tricky Sam through to Ray Anderson.

The trombone live makes an incredible sound, so many overtones that are not captured on record. Over the years I've sat very close to several masters and these experiences rate are among my most treasured jazz memories.

your point about the live overtones is on the mark.

the power and sound of the bass trombone makes the hair on my arms stand up!!!!!

strangely, the best 2 in my immediate area are lovely ladies.

.....Don Drummond....

thanks for mentioning the Don - my original musical hero. :D

two more Jamaicans - Rico Rodriguez & Vin Gordon

also I love the deep blues trombone of Ike Rodgers

It often has this very human touch - and it's right there in the range of the (male) human voice, which is always something I cherish, no matter if it's a cello, a tenor sax or a 'bone.

that's exactly how I feel about it! - & it's sort of contemplative, almost like the sound of someone thinking