Jimmy Smith

BFS

Can anybody give me the low-down on the RVG of Cool Blues? I remember reading something when it came out about improved sound quality from the first issue but that the liner notes had errors in terms of who was playing on which track. And, is this one of those live sets that has a lot of distracting noise from the band humming along, talking in the background, etc? I'm a Jimmy Smith fan but only want to jump on this one if it is a good-un! :D

This is a mono recording from Small's Paradise. Hence, it doesn't have perfect sound. However, this is one of my favorite Jimmy Smith recordings. He sounds on fire to me, plus you've got Lou Donaldson and Tina Brooks (sounding great). It's a must have recording for a jazz organ afficiando.

No offense, but I can't imagine not picking this one up, if you love Jimmy Smith. It's a good-un. The problem with the first one was pitch problems (I think) and it was fixed. This is just a fabulous session all around. I always like a bit of crowd noise, makes you feel like you're in the audience.

Were there pitch problems on the original LP issued in the 1980's?

Yes, but not on the LP, on the CD. I forgot exactly what they were but my recollection of what people said back at the BNBB (any my memory is a little hazy about this) is that when Blue Note realized there were problems they didn't make any more copies, making it a very hard to get cd. When ebay came along, it obviously fetched good price, nothing like Mobley's Straight No Filter, but in the $50-60's range.

Edited by Brad

I'm sure many will disagree, but I enjoy this one more than The Sermon or House Party, the other two CDs I own. At least I reach for it more often than the other two.

And yes, I know I should get more, but for some reason, Jimmy Smith brings out my "if I buy it, it'll be remastered next week" fear, which doesn't occur with any other artist. Can't explain it... :(

• 4 months later...