Bob Neloms

AllenLowe

Bob is one of my oldest friends, but slipped under the radar when he moved back to Detroit. Also, a genius pianist, one of my favorites, and a genuinely funny guy,

I had not heard from him in about 10-12 years until last night when he called and we had a nice, long conversation. I had been worried because he's had serious health problem, but Bob (who is about to turn 70) sounded great; he's had some hearing loss, unfortunately, but he's feeling good and living with his wife in a condo in Birmingham, Michigan.

best of all, he's still playing. He's got the Baldwin baby grand he grew up with, he told me. It's got me itching to get on a plane, go out and record with him; he's one of those incredibly creative musicians you can put into any situation and he'll come up with something just perfect, clever, and inventive. I never had as much fun as when I played with Bob.

I miss him a lot, so I gotta figure a way out there.

and I'm glad he's alive and well. A truly wonderful human being. (Also, less known is that he was the house pianist at Motown from 1962-64. Funny stories about Stevie Wonder, the 4 Tops, and the interesting, shall we say, financial backing that made that company grow).