Stanton Moore - Flyin' the Koop

Chrome

Yeah. This is tasty. MMW-ish with a bit of New Orleans flavor.

This got lots of action here when it was current. Think I'll pull that bad boy out on Friday.

The Wild Magnolia's piece (Fallin' off the Floor) used to light up the phones pretty dependably.

--eric

I didn't realize that track was a cover. I'll have to look around for the original version.

Sorry, not a cover, just uses a basic Wild Magnolias riff as a loop to build on, BUT, if you don't have the two Wild Magnolias French Polydor releases, by all means run off and buy.

The self-titled album is definitely worth full-price admission. "They Call Us Wild" is a bit derivative and over-produced, but still good stuff.

--eric

A lot of acid jazz sounds out there too imitative or just plain turns me off, but this one is really good about pulling together different influences into something that's innovative sounding; Stan finds a fresh way to groove on each track. Inpired choice of musicians, too, Wood in particular stands out. Not a single drum solo on it, but none is needed. I've played the hell out of this about a year-year and a half ago.

Aside: I once caught a bit of "Prairie Sunset" on an HP commercial; refreshing to know that somebody on Madison Avenue isn't gonna shove another rendition of "What A Wonderful World" down our throats.

SS