78 RPM single from Canada, in the 70's????

BERIGAN

I had read somewheres about places like India holding onto the 78 format into the 60's, hence there are some Beatles 78's that are worth a pretty penny. But, why would Canada still be using 78's into the 70's???

It would be interesting to see when each country stopped making 78's

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item20c4b904b7&item=140739413175&nma=true&pt=Music_on_Vinyl&rt=nc&si=hC6x1yqkCFMt4VfS3B%252BaQ60Z4hs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Edited by BERIGAN

Ok, here we go...sure seems like a marketing tool, yes, but apparently one with a tie-in to action in the film itself:

http://zvbxrpl.blogspot.com/2007/08/first-movie-with-licensed-recordings.html

This sticks in the mind: the practice of using "fake" source music had fallen so out of favor by 1971 that it seemed an intrusive surprise when Jennifer O'Neill put on a 78 rpm record late in SUMMER OF '42... and it's a "period" recording of Michel LeGrand's main theme from the movie. LeGrand's score is pretty but terribly repetitive in its constant use of the theme; it would have been preferable to hear almost any genuine romantic standard of the period rather than another reprise of that theme.

Ok, here we go...sure seems like a marketing tool, yes, but apparently one with a tie-in to action in the film itself:

http://zvbxrpl.blogspot.com/2007/08/first-movie-with-licensed-recordings.html

This sticks in the mind: the practice of using "fake" source music had fallen so out of favor by 1971 that it seemed an intrusive surprise when Jennifer O'Neill put on a 78 rpm record late in SUMMER OF '42... and it's a "period" recording of Michel LeGrand's main theme from the movie. LeGrand's score is pretty but terribly repetitive in its constant use of the theme; it would have been preferable to hear almost any genuine romantic standard of the period rather than another reprise of that theme.

Ah, thanks! Hadn't thought of it as a marketing tool! A vinyl 78. Had they made vinyl 78s before? well, guess that I might be able to find out on my own...

A vinyl 78. Had they made vinyl 78s before? well, guess that I might be able to find out on my own...

Yes they did here and there - towards the end of the 78 rpm era when vinyl had already been going strong for a couple of years.

This 78rpm marketing gimmick was revived elsewhere too. I remember one particular release by a Dutch rockabilly group named The Chevy Cats. They released one of their 45s concurrently in 78rpm format at the end of the 80s. As far as I recall it sold out pretty quickly (collectors are easy to assess after all ... :D).