any love for Keith Richards as a solo artist?

Rooster_Ties

I've never been a huge fan of the Rolling Stones (there's probably about 8-10 songs I really like, but none of them are the obvious 'biggest' hits) -- but I have to admit that an album I've always loved -- really since the day I heard it -- is Keith Richard's first solo album, Talk Is Cheap (from 1988).

Here's a couple good Keef clips to get us going, and I'll probably post others to prod the discussion along...

To be clear, I'm not trying to make some huge case that Keith is better than Mick, or vice versa -- I think both are clearly acquired tastes (and probably Keith more so than Mick). Still, I think Keith brings something unique to the equation at times (particularly since the early 80's), when he's out front on vocals. There are probably a good dozen various tunes with Keith on lead vocals that just slay me practically every time.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

My school of thought is that the Stones made the right choice in having Mick be the lead singer. Had Keith been the lead singer, the Stones success arc would have been quite different. I didn't care for his solo career though I kind of liked "Take It So Hard".

"Talk Is Cheap" has one hell of a line-up, IMHO...

Keith Richards – lead vocals, guitar

Sarah Dash – backing vocals, duet on "Make No Mistake"

Charley Drayton – bass guitar

Steve Jordan – drums, percussion, backing vocals

Ivan Neville – piano, keyboards

Patti Scialfa – backing vocals

Waddy Wachtel – acoustic, electric, and slide guitar, production consultant

Bootsy Collins – bass guitar on "Big Enough"

Michael Doucet – violin on "Locked Away"

Stanley "Buckwheat" Dural – accordion on "You Don't Move Me", "Rockawhile" and "Locked Away"

Johnny Johnson – piano on "I Could Have Stood You Up"

Bobby Keys – tenor saxophone on "I Could Have Stood You Up" and "Whip It Up"

Chuck Leavell – organ on "I Could Have Stood You Up"

Maceo Parker – alto saxophone on "Big Enough"

Joey Spampinato – bass guitar on "I Could Have Stood You Up" and "Rockawhile"

Mick Taylor – guitar on "I Could Have Stood You Up"

Bernie Worrell – organ on "Big Enough" and "You Don't Move Me", clavinet on "Make No Mistake" and "Rockawhile"

Jimmi Kinnard – bass guitar on "Make No Mistake"

The Memphis Horns – horns

Willie Mitchell – horn arrangements

The tune "Big Enough" features Bootsy Collins, Maceo Parker, and Bernie Worrell !!

And another favorite Stones track with Keith on lead vocals...

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I liked his first two solo albums quite a bit (Talk Is Cheap and Main Offender). There not masterpieces by any means but the grooves are very strong and the players are top notch as you point out. Speaking of solo albums, I've actually been listening to Mick's solo album Wandering Spirit lately, it holds up pretty well. Much better than critics give it credit for. But I digress...

Used to have Keith's 2nd album, but never connected to it as deeply (got rid of my copy eons ago, but wonder if I should seek one out again?).

There's also a live Keith Richards album recorded during the tour shortly after the 1st album, which is pretty strong iirc (I still have a copy, but haven't listened to it in ages).

Another couple nice ballads...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tuo_KqpZEwc

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I played the hell out of Talk Is Cheap when it came out. I even cranked it and sang along with the windows down on the Cassiar when the sun was going down hoping that it'd clear moose off of the gravel highway. I didn't hit any so I think it worked. I had been waiting a long time for him to do a solo album as I had bootleg vinyl & tapes of his tracks from the late '70s such as the country stuff like Merle Haggard's "Sing Me Back Home" and "Somewhere Over The Rainbow." So despite the high expectations Talk Is Cheap didn't disappoint.

• 2 weeks later...

Rare Keith 45 of a Jimmy Cliff reggae tune -- from the late 70's...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05_DYFsTbVw

And a nice live version of "Take it so Hard", a song from his first solo album, but from the tour for his second solo album...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-hDxTVvG-4

Edited by Rooster_Ties