corporation for public broadcasting jazz alive archives

during the first half of the 1980s, the u.s. corporation for public broadcasting recorded a number of live radio broadcasts at jazz clubs around the country, and outside. sometimes they used 1 set, sometimes 2.

a richard davis quartet was wonderful.

there was an inredible mal waldron solo performance or two.

stan getz appeared as a duo on the french riviera with elvin jones.

amina claudine myers performed a largely r&b set, with an incredible extended powerful piano solo in song for mother e.

billy pierce/bobby watson appeared shortly after leaving blakey's group.

there were 2 moving dick hyman pipe organ soloes of negro spirotuals from the church of st. john the divine in nyc.

there was a really upbeat performance of the ahmad jamal quartet with harpist marilyn mazur about the time the album pittsburgh was released.

clifford jordan did what i remember as an upbeat quintet set or two.

the group freeflight performed with pianist minshol leviev from peabody's down under in cleveland.

leviev performed in a sparkling duo of extended length with bassist charlie haden, on the french riviera, as i remember.

many other performances of the long running series have slipped just out of memory's reach.

these seem to have disappeared, and so did some priceless jazz performances. i would so love to hear them again.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

I used to stay up late (I think the show ran from midnight to 2 AM in Atlanta) and record the show at times. I've got the WSQ/Max Roach/M'Boom show, which ran the entire two hours, and some scattered other stuff, but now I wish I had recorded more of the shows.