Blues Spectrum/Johnny Otis: nothing comes close

thisbrown_charl_greatrhyt_101b.jpg

charles brown lp- take a look (i found one of these today)-- you have Charles Brown in his 50s, look at his hair, is that a toupee? look at his suit. IS HE PLAYING A FENDER RHODES?!?

the label has 13 or so releases, its odd a few of them have been retitled "pioneers of rhythm and blues" and renmubered and released as amazon mp3-only song and/or albuim downloads....copyright 2008 Johnny Otis, with new covers with artwork painted by Johnny himself. I really would be interested to know if these were originally download only or if physical copies exist.

i subtitled this thread 'nothing comes close'- what does chewy mean by that. what im talking about is that i dont know of another label that so accurately displays what the r&b greats of the early 50s were up to in the early 70s. all the reviews talk about "past their prime" "bland 70s style rhythm sect", but this opposite is true. these recordings are very interesting, charles brown re-doing merry christmas baby in the 70s, with electric bass, shuggie otis on guitar...johnny otis on drums and vibes...and charles brown sounds fantastic

Edited by chewy

I bought a few of these when they came out on lp in the 1970's. I've kept the Johnny Otis and Joe Liggins lps. They're good records and capture a lot of the spirit of earlier recordings by these artists.

I can see the point of them "capturing the spirit of the earlier recordings" while the original items were OOP but I've listened to some of them (never bothered to buy and keep any of them) and while they were not bad per se they - correctly or incorrectly - for me always had the stigma of being rehashings of "the (50s) real thing". Why go for "imitations" instead of the real thing? Thankfully Jonas Bernholm's Route 66 label carrying all the "real stuff" came along before the 70s were over. ;)

Some of the modernized, almost "funked-up" arrangements just sounded out of place to me. Though I can understand the idea of giving the old masters some long-overdue new exposure that no doubt was behind this series.