Making Jams & Jellies and canning other goodies

It's the new hipster thing to do. Has anyone tried to ferment their own pickles before? I've done kimchi (still figuring it out) and sauerkraut (came out AWESOME) but just tried my first shot at dill pickles. No vinegar, just salt, spices, dill, garlic and veggies. I have one jar of cut cucumber spears, which came out...weird and slightly bitter. I think the Kirby cucumbers I used had grown too big and thick. Also have a jar of the same whole cucumbers, a jar of smaller Kirbys, and a jar of green tomatoes going. Haven't cracked them open yet though.

Edited by Big Wheel

Wow 40 minutes later

I'm done

Made 4 8oz jars and 1 12oz jar

Washing and cutting fruit took the longest time

Just have to wait 24 hours and they should be set

Used the Betty Crocker freezer method

http://m.bettycrocker.com/recipes/strawberry-freezer-jam/1ee5771b-42c8-42b5-877e-2a1d4e723348

Total cost about $10

Edited by Soulstation1

So many farm women do it, I figure it can't be that hard if you know what you are doing.

So, my grandmother, mother and wife are "farm women". Thanks for assuming "it can't be that hard".

Ann has canned blueberry jam the last 2 weeks. She usually does about a dozen types but the weather has destroyed lots of crops.

• 1 year later...