Tubby Hayes and Clark Terry New York Sessions

BeBop

Once upon a time, I'd thought this great CD was actively sought-after (and pricey and scarce). Not sure that's the case any more. I did spot a copy in a shop for reasonable (about US$8, I think). If anyone's looking for it, I could pick it up and ship. Can't buy it for myself and haul it around indefinitely.

Highly recommended. The cd has several bonus tracks.

The opener, You for Me, is wonderful.

Once upon a time, I'd thought this great CD was actively sought-after (and pricey and scarce). Not sure that's the case any more. I did spot a copy in a shop for reasonable (about US$8, I think). If anyone's looking for it, I could pick it up and ship. Can't buy it for myself and haul it around indefinitely.

Part of the reason for the demand of this CD, is that it was deleted rather quickly due to some problems with the release at the time. From what I heard, the reissue producer, Mike Berniker (also the producer of the original session?), apparently didn't get the clearance to release it because there were questions as to whether it was owned by Fontana or Epic. It is very hard to find. Quite honestly, I buy it whenever I find it because I know someone will be looking for it.

From an earlier organissimo thread http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?/topic/36274-tubby-hayes-clark-terry-new-york-sessions/page__st__15 which quotes an allaboutjazz thread:

"This absense may well be explained by the copyright issues surrounding exactly who owns the album. A CD reissue of the complete October 1961 sessions which appeared in 1990 on the CBS label (Tubby Hayes with Clark Terry - The New York Sessions; CBS 466363 2) was swiftly withdrawn after a bit of legal wrangling. Epic (part of CBS) may have recorded the album but technically it was a Fontana production, which must mean that it is now under the banner of Universal."

Kevin

The New York Sessions is a popular title on jazz-oriented P2P share blogs. The six tunes found on the original Fontana LP Tubbs In N.Y. are included in a recent digital download release called Introducing Tubbs / Tubbs in NY (Deluxe Edition), along with 9 tracks from Introducing and 3 tunes from 1961's Palladium Jazz Date (Fontana TFL 5151).