What Bix should I get?

sal

Greetings all -

I'm looking to make my first Bix Beiderbecke purchase after hearing him on NPR the other day. What a fantastic player! With all the material availiable out there, I was wondering which CD or CD package combines the most thorough, comprehensive selection of his music with the best possible sound? I'm looking for 1 to 3 CD package, as I really can't afford a big box set at the moment. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Or there are four three cd sets on the Bix Restored label that reissue all his work chronologically. . . the first set may be the best (the second may be the best too) and would make a nice purchase: best sound available in my opinion for this material and good notes too. . . .

In this manner you can slowly get the sets sequentially if you really are digging Bix (I have a feeling you will.)

Another big :tup for the Sunbeam sets!

But if you want to start with JUST ONE CD and no box-sets, I would pick this Columbia release with some of his best recordings, from Feb 4, 1927 to Sep 30, 1927:

Bix Beiderbecke, Vol. 1: Singin' the Blues

f55049z86nt.jpg

I have it in a two-offer with Vol.2: At the Jazz Band Ball, which is a good choice as well.