Sjef Hoefsmit RIP

I posted the following on the Duke LYM list serve:

I only met Sjef once but often corresponded with him-- usually with queries which he generously answered. He was informative, friendly and always a gentleman.

He will be missed.

A fuller description of Sjef's importance to Ellington aficionados was posted by Loek Hopstaken:

Such sad news. Sjef was the most dedicated Duke Ellington fan. Actually "fan" is not the right word. He just madly loved the music, went to see all Ellington concerts in The Netherlands after WWII, and hooked up with other dedicated Ellington lovers like Benny Aasland. In fact, there was no Ellington expert in the world who didn't know Sjef and knew he/she could count on his full support. He was a walking & talking Ellington encyclopedia, generously sharing his knowledge. Most Ellington book authors would eventually find their way to Sjef to get answers - the facts. The DEMS Bulletin is the longest running magazine celebrating the music, and invaluable for anyone interested in the facts. The Duke Ellington room in his house was a small museum, with all the records, cd's, DEMS cassettes, videos, dvd's. Through the years, we met at several occasions. Once he hosted a full day of Duke Ellington music and videos for Louis Tavecchio, Ad Oud & me. Unforgettable. He enjoyed our never-ending requests for more music. His collection - most probably the most complete in the world - contains treasures that are nowhere else to be found. We met again during the many 1999 Duke Centennial celebrations in Amsterdam, at Walter van de Leur's promotion and once again in 2004 in Stockholm. I remember him recording every word and sound of that great conference, and watching him sitting next to Alice Babs, asking her to share her memories. He made friends with anyone who shared his love for the music. He leaves a legacy that has significantly helped to map the world of Duke Ellington as we know it. He will be so missed.

that´s sad news! two years ago he send me a double cd-r of unissued ellington airchecks from the timme rosenkrantz archive via the dems bulletin. (btw the worst sounds i´ve ever heard!! even the worst bird amateur recordings are in better quality, but never mind it´s the duke).

what will be now with this site?

keep boppin´

marcel

• 3 months later...