Chris Potter on tour

GA Russell

Here are the dates of Chris Potter's upcoming tour. I'm jealous of those of you who will have the opportunity to go.

Chris Potter on tour:

Feb 5-10 - New York, NY at the Village Vanguard

Feb 21 - Montreal at Salle Jesu

Feb 22 - Philadelphia, PA at Chris’ Jazz Café

Feb 23 - Cleveland at Lakeland Performing Arts Center

Feb 24 - Oakland, CA at Yoshi’s

Feb 25 - Santa Cruz, CA at Kuumbwa

Feb 26-27 - Seattle, WA at Jazz Alley

Feb 28 - Hollywood, CA at Musician’s Institute

March 2-3 - Denver, CO at Dazzle

March 8 - Jacksonville, FL at Terry Theater (Quartet w/Community Big Band)

March 9 - Jacksonville, FL at Terry Theater (Quartet)

March 14 - Boston, MA at Regattabar

March 16 - Washington, DC at The Hamilton

just saw him last Sunday with the Monterey Jazz Festival All-Stars. he was incredible, as he always is!

I saw this tour last week. I got lucky and scored fourth row/center seats two days before the show. Chris Potter was excellent but then so was the whole ensemble and I'd seen Potter with Dave Holland on several occasions so Ambrose A. was who I enjoyed the most because I hadn't heard him play before. Not to take away anything from Potter. He's amazing and to think he's barely forty years old which means he was thirty when I first saw him with Holland. :crazy:

• 1 month later...

I caught the band on Saturday when the tour rolled through Cleveland. For my money, Potter is one of the best tenors out there, and he didn't disappoint. We snagged seats in the front row, and I found myself watching Eric Harland a lot. My wife even pointed out how focused Harland was throughout, but the whole band really listened to each other. I wonder if this band will tour much, though, given their other commitments. In any event, I'm glad that I caught the group live, as it was the first time that I've had the chance to catch Potter leading his own group. Surprisingly enough, he played 'Darn That Dream' for his encore, which was one of only two non-originals of the night (he also played Monk's 'Four in One', which I've never heard live).

On a side note, Potter was greeting fans after the show, so I overcame my chronic shyness and asked him whether he had any plans to record an album where he played only bass clarinet. He said that some people have asked him about that, but he said that such a project would be of limited interest. That's unfortunate, as his work on the bass clarinet is always a highlight for me; I also heard other people raving about his bass-clarinet playing after the concert. Given how few musicians focus on the bass clarinet and Potter's popularity, I think that an album where he focused on bass clarinet would actually generate a lot of interest. :shrug[1]: