Mike Stern

Milestones

I'm finding myself with quite an interest in Mike Stern. I did once seem him live in person when he was playing with Miles--yes, many years ago. He was good, but I would not have guessed he would go on to become a major talent, which I now believe is the case. I had heard the standards records and one called Play (which featured some guesting by Frisell and Scofield). Again, good records, but was Stern really in the same category as Frisell, Scofield, and Metheny?

I know he's been putting out some eclectic records and surrounding himself with tons of great players. I have been listening to the well-named All Over the Place, and I find that it's just great. You better do some things really well if you're hiring Garret, Holland, Foster, Potter, Wooten, Richard Bona, etc. I can't even begin to talk about how wonderful this record is. The 2nd track is "Cameroon," and it's dominated Bona; and this is the catchiest and most exuberant track I've heard in age. Maybe Bona steals the track, but you're deaf it you don't groove to Stern's guitar work on the track. Throughout the CD (which is very lengthy) Stern expertly changes mood, tempos, and settings. Like another highly electric guitarist John McLaughlin, he has no trouble shifting from rock oriented fusion guitar to the gentlest stuff imaginable on acoustic.

Mike Stern seems to be in the midst of something like a 10-year golden run. I notice his records run long (but not over-long), that he writes almost everything on them, and that he hires the best in the business.

His music is perhaps best called fusion, but in the very best sense of the word. I began to get into jazz through fusion, and Stern's work--along with McLaughlin's last few records (reminiscent in many way of Mahavisnu)--show that's it's in good hands these days.

I too heard him years ago with Miles Davis and also with Michael Brecker and had mixed emotions. About seven or eight years ago I took the opportunity to hear him live again in the intimate context of the 55 Bar in New York (where he often plays on Monday and/or Wednesday nights when not touring), and my reservations were quickly obliterated. He has really matured into a wonderful improviser. He plays softly with great beauty and can still crank it up with great force as well (he actually plays at low volume more than high). I've been lucky to hear him at the 55 Bar seven times in the last eight years, and this has become one of my favorite live music experiences in recent years. And his recordings over the last decade or so, as you note, are all good.

Edited by kh1958

Mike Stern I really really dig, particularly the rapport he and Richard Bona have together. That said, I think his best records that I have heard have been "Voices", "Give and Take" (with some killing Brecker, Jack DeJohnette and Don Alias) and "Who Let the Cats Out?". "Big Neighborhood" was sort of a mixed bag to me, a sort of "Who Let the Cats Out?" part 2 but not as strong. I think while he's such a great improviser, some of his tunes can get a little predictable. I will check out "All Over the Place" on Spotify to give it a spin before I buy. The "Mike Stern Live" DVD is great too. Stern's got such a pretty tone on nylon string acoustic, which is where the Pat Metheny influence comes in, not so much in ideas but his nylon string tone reminds me very much of Pat. The Yellowjackets, at least since Greenhouse in 1991 have NOT been smooth. Jaco's son Felix replaced Jimmy Haslip on bass and Will Kennedy returned on drums but their recent studio albums haven't been as exciting to me as "25" or "Mint Jam". The latter is quite expensive but very worth it. They really cook on that one.

Mike Stern I really really dig, particularly the rapport he and Richard Bona have together. That said, I think his best records that I have heard have been "Voices", "Give and Take" (with some killing Brecker, Jack DeJohnette and Don Alias) and "Who Let the Cats Out?". "Big Neighborhood" was sort of a mixed bag to me, a sort of "Who Let the Cats Out?" part 2 but not as strong. I think while he's such a great improviser, some of his tunes can get a little predictable. I will check out "All Over the Place" on Spotify to give it a spin before I buy. The "Mike Stern Live" DVD is great too. Stern's got such a pretty tone on nylon string acoustic, which is where the Pat Metheny influence comes in, not so much in ideas but his nylon string tone reminds me very much of Pat. The Yellowjackets, at least since Greenhouse in 1991 have NOT been smooth. Jaco's son Felix replaced Jimmy Haslip on bass and Will Kennedy returned on drums but their recent studio albums haven't been as exciting to me as "25" or "Mint Jam". The latter is quite expensive but very worth it. They really cook on that one.

Not to mention Mintzer and Ferrante, who can also play.

FWIW, I have this album by Stern, which is excellent:

http://www.allmusic.com/album/standards-and-other-songs-mw0000088118

FWIW (part 2), I heard years ago that Stern's "other" exploits are what ended up keeping him off the "A" list of modern jazz guitar players. As I said above, for me, his playing with Miles smokes Sco's playing with Miles. Raw, edgy and ballsy - where Sco hasn't been since the Gramavision and Enja albums.

I have to agree I have been missing out by paying almost no attention to The Yellowjackets.

I saw them about 10 years ago at the Iridium quite by accident. I was pleasantly surprised. They weren't half bad, and went nowhere near "G" territory. Doesn't mean I went out and bought all their cd's; just means that I recognize them as good musicians.

Who the hell is in charge of Stern's cover shoots? The latest album is the worst. He's been wearing the same black clothes and stringy hair for the past 20 + years.

He's had those same clothes on every time I've seen him play live. No need for a suitcase!

How many musicians do you know that use a fashion coordinator?

Who the hell is in charge of Stern's cover shoots? The latest album is the worst. He's been wearing the same black clothes and stringy hair for the past 20 + years.

He's had those same clothes on every time I've seen him play live. No need for a suitcase!

Probably a good idea when the label is paying for a photo session.

Personally, I like 80s Miles more with Stern than with Scofield.

I'd probably agree with that. He's a major plus on 'We Want Miles'.

I saw that band at the Hammersmith Odeon London on Miles' first UK gig since 1969 - early 80s. The sense of anticipation in the audience that night was incredible. Stern on guitar was quite a suprise for much of the crowd, very loud and reminded me of a sort of 'Van Halen with substance'.

I saw him again about 20 years later at a club in LA, with Bob Malach on tenor and Alex Blake on bass (I think). Very good performance and extremely enjoyable. Totally different in style/feel to the earlier Miles gig and a much more mature/reflective performance. He had that black turtle-neck sweater on that night too ! (he ought to do a swap with Pat Metheny's French onion seller shirt :lol: )

Edited by sidewinder

jamaaladeen_tacuma-show_stopper(1).jpg

I'd like him more if he'd do something about that chorus on his amp. Does he still use that on everything?

Unfortunately, he's not the only one that can't see past bad processed tone.

• 3 weeks later...

I have to say, "Voices" just seems as good as it gets when it comes to guitar and wordless vocals.

I have to agree. It is very hard to sound original with the guitar and wordless vocal format because everything is reminiscent to a degree of the Pat Metheny Group. On that album Stern has such a great blend with Richard Bona, they have such a great hookup, and "Wishing Well" is probably the most PMG esque tune. Vinnie Colauita does a very convincing Paul Wertico ride cymbal groove, and Phillip Hamilton was a PMG alumnus (Imaginary Day Tour). I say Wertico and not Antonio Sanchez because "Voices" was prior to his arrival on an PMG album and Antonio's cymbal thing is so distinct and he took the Metheny ride thing to a whole other level.