Cheltenham Jazz Festival 2013...2014 too

I'm tempted with the Dave Douglas and Ravi Coltrane..

It will be interesting to see what's on at Bath this year. Once again, Swanage is looking like a must.

In three years time I might join you there! Retirement beckons.

To make the trip worth my while I need to have a good set of concerts over Friday night and Saturday at least. Still unsure.

I just wish there was more on the 'outside' to give a balance. A few years back they did some gigs in a fairly ropey theatre with Evan Parker, Peter Evans etc. Just gave the breadth I like.

• 2 weeks later...

Very disappointing lineup for Bath this year. Norma Winstone's Trio at the Guildhall should be brilliant (and a fitting location for this group) but otherwise there's nothing to grab me. No 'jazz weekend' again either - RIP the Pavilion. :(

Indeed - looks depressing. Wouldn't mind seeing Vasen on the Monday - you don't often get Scandinavian folkies over here but not worth the trip.

Has Nod Knowles gone? I know he went to a more overall position. He seemed to be the enthusiast for the unusual in my years there. Bring back the alphorns!

Very disappointing lineup for Bath this year. Norma Winstone's Trio at the Guildhall should be brilliant (and a fitting location for this group) but otherwise there's nothing to grab me. No 'jazz weekend' again either - RIP the Pavilion. :(

Indeed - looks depressing. Wouldn't mind seeing Vasen on the Monday - you don't often get Scandinavian folkies over here but not worth the trip.

Has Nod Knowles gone? I know he went to a more overall position. He seemed to be the enthusiast for the unusual in my years there. Bring back the alphorns!

Yes - I think his association with the Festival ended a couple of years ago. That was probably the straw that broke the camel's back as far as jazz was concerned, plus no doubt BANES (Bath and North East Somerset Council) is strapped for cash. I suspect much of the driving force and organisational commitment went after the nice lady who was his assistant on the jazz side of things passed away (tragically young as well) a year or two before that.

Maybe this new Festival to be held in Bristol can pick things up?

Alternatively, we could do a "Charles Mingus Newport Rebels" and start one up.. http://www.bathpavilion.org/hire-bath-pavilion

Edited by sidewinder

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just put my booking in for Swanage in mid-July. Unfortunately Alan Skidmore is no longer on the bill. Some real good artists though, including Bobby Wellins/Kate Williams, Clark Tracey, Gilad Azmon, Steve Melling, Tony Kofi and Lianne Carol. Plus Mr Barnes, of course..

Ringwood Ales on draft too :)

Edited by sidewinder

Yeah, I plan on checking out the Mark Lockheart 'Ellington'. Trish Clowes is going to clash with Leon Greening's Trio. Spoilt for choices - I'll bear in mind your recommendation though.

Hopefully though they have more luck at Swanage with the weather this year. Everything was stacked against it last year with the rain deluge in the marquees. This year we need some heat and sun so I can enjoy my ice creams and check out the Punch & Judy show on the sea-front.. :D

Edited by sidewinder

Yeah, I plan on checking out the Mark Lockheart 'Ellington'. Trish Clowes is going to clash with Leon Greening's Trio. Spoilt for choices - I'll bear in mind your recommendation though.

Hopefully though they have more luck at Swanage with the weather this year. Everything was stacked against it last year with the rain deluge in the marquees. This year we need some heat and sun so I can enjoy my ice creams and check out the Punch & Judy show on the sea-front.. :D

Hope it goes well for you, sidewinder. The weather makes such a difference. I endured dreadful weather last May at the English Music Festival which...sorry...put a dampner on things. This year the weather was glorious - I was able to do some walking and just generally enjoy everything in full colour.

Barbecue summer, perhaps?

• 8 months later...

2014 Cheltenham line-up now out. Other than Billy Cobham, Anorak and Siegal's group, nothing of interest to me. Mainly the usual crooners and their adoring fans. I'll pass..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/music-festivals/10628621/Cheltenham-Jazz-Festival-2014-line-up-announced.html

Edited by sidewinder

2014 Cheltenham line-up now out. Other than Billy Cobham, Anorak and Siegal's group, nothing of interest to me. Mainly the usual crooners and their adoring fans. I'll pass..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/music-festivals/10628621/Cheltenham-Jazz-Festival-2014-line-up-announced.html

Please note that Paul Dunmall with a sextet is playing on May 3rd

The last time I made the trip to Cheltenham was a few years back to see Dunmall with Profound Sound Trio - that was definitely worth the journey.

This year's line up doesn't really inspire me except anything involving Thomas Stronen is usually worth a listen. They're not Jazz but I would like to see Tinariwen and I do like Gregory Porter. If I lived in Cheltenham I might go and see Loose Tubes, Denys Baptiste and Ambrose Akinmusire but I won't be buying train tickets this year.

A fairly uninspiring selection spread pretty thin.