There's a very good piece in the current Bass World, the magazine of the International Society of Bassists, about Eddie Khan. The piece is written by Jeff Campbell, a fine bassist who teaches at Eastman. Campbell was a kid in Salt Lake City in the '70s when Khan moved there to work as film editor at the local ABC-TV affiliate -- he also played gigs on the local scene. There's no link because the magazine doesn't post content online. However, I thought I would point it out so that anyone who might be interested could track down a hard copy. Kahn ("One Step Beyond," "Speak Brother Speak," "Smokestack," "Breaking Point," etc.) was a really great player -- versatile and adventurous in the manner of Richard Davis, able to play bebop, modal, odd meters, free, hooking up tightly with the drummer, strong technically and always playing with a vivid imagination. Campbell's piece has a lot of transcription and analysis. Apparently, at a certain point Kahn became a video engineer and worked in TV news. He died in 1988 of lung cancer in his early '50s.

Edited by Mark Stryker

oh, Mark, i cannot tell you how good it is to hear Eddie's name spoken/written again. i was a big fan of his in the '60s and he was part of my ex-husband's (Walter Bishop, Jr.) group for quite awhile. Eddie was a lovely and funny man as well. very unique person and personality. i will be passing this info on to Dick Berk who played with Eddie in Walter's group and with Billie Holiday as well. they were like brothers.

once again, thanks so much, Mark.