bobbystern

• 2 weeks later...

Transcriptions That Stick! - Dig "Big Nick"!

Here's a downloadable transcription of John Coltrane's soprano saxophone solo on the original version of his composition "Big Nick", released as part of the album "Coltrane", on the Impulse! label.

This is not the Coltrane - Ellington version, and unfortunately, I was unable to find a YouTube vid of this version to post.

• 4 weeks later...

Leaving the dusty little town of Giant Steppes has been no easy task. While sitting in the bar down-the-road-a-piece from the 'Trane Station, known as "The Cycle of Descending Major Thirds", I ran into this demonic looking, but sophisticated gentleman of dubious nobility who introduced himself as Count Down. I thought he looked more like Screamin' Jay Hawkins, but I didn't mention it.

• 2 weeks later...

Korner Karnataka - Charlie Mariano - Konnakol/Solkattu & Prof. Dave King

One of the legendary alto saxophonist Charlie Mariano's greatest and lasting legacies has been exposing an entire generation of Western musicians (including yours truly), primarily in Europe, to the highly intricate beauties of South Indian (Carnatic) Classical Music culture.

Edited by bobbystern

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Marvin Gaye Session #2 - Tomorrow Comes

After seemingly scoring some points with Marvin (Gaye) and Harvey (Fuqua) with a brief tenor solo on "'Til Tomorrow", I talked my way into having them invite me back for some more fun the next day.

When I found out they were going to be recording in Munich for a few more days, I had to try to convince them I could still be useful. Whatever I told them worked. Read More

• 2 months later...