Tenor Sax Player in "They call me Mr. Tibbs"?

I just saw this last night, and Quincy did the music for it (I think he did all 3 movies in the series), so naturally, there was a lot of blowing in it (maybe so Q. could have a little more "face time' with Peggy Lipton? :rlol ).

One scene that stood out was the one where Sid goes into the apt of the "heart of gold' hooker.

There is an incredible tenor sax solo that followed the cheesey blues guitar and organ solo that made the whole movie for me. I looked it up in the Meeker book online, and it only IDs the omni-present (and great) trumpet player Chuck Findley and Emil Richards on percussion.

Anyone have any idea who it was?

It occurred to me that while there's a lot of examples of great writing in film scores, it's relatively rare that you get to hear a musician play a great solo in a movie.

Another example is Phil Woods' solo in "Lilith", and Jim Hall's short solo in "Odds Against Tomorrow".

Anybody got anymo'? :cool:

Oh, yeah! Thanks for the reminder. i'm gonna look for ITHOTN.

Jon Faddis had a nice feature in the opening scenes of "The Gauntlet".

Live scenes in clubs don't count-eg. "Screaming Mimi", "Play Misty For Me", etc...

There's something about integrating improvisation, the score, and the drama on the screen that really gets me off.

The closest I've come to it is blowing during some scene in a musical.

One of the most exciting gigs I ever did was jamming on some completely improvised funk things at an Iona State college basketball game at the Nassau Coliseum with some black dudes I never met before or since.

I don't think you're supposed to be playing while they're dribbling the ball- especially loud with electric instruments, but nobody stopped us! :rofl: