40 "Can't Miss" Players Who Flamed Out

Some of these names I know well, and others I've never heard of. Here are forty baseball players who won't be making the Hall of Fame, with one exception: I equate Dale Murphy's career with Jim Rice's. He had a great career, but stayed a few years too long after he had lost it. Rice made the HOF, and I think the Old Timers Committee will elect Murphy as well.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1015140-40-cant-miss-superstars-who-flamed-out-before-the-hall-of-fame?utm_source=outbrain.com&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=feed

I don't know about Murphy. He was HOF quality for a stretch, but not a long enough stretch. Part of me hopes he makes it; he was a favorite. But part of me knows that if he makes it I can never complain about Phil Rizzuto again, and that's a lot to give up...

Edited by Jazzmoose

And Bob Horner on the list as well. Talk about the "almost" years...

You baseball fans aren't going to believe this, but I went from hardcore baseball nut (you know; one of those annoying ones who would argue the offensive merits of various utility infielders and such) to not following the game at all during the strike. So this list is the first I've heard about Steve Avery losing it. I just assumed he was part of the team for years.

Of all the players listed, the one that I would support being put in by the Veteran's Committee is Don Mattingly.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go check stuff out and see if Maddux ever got to 300...

Holy shit. (You thought I was kidding, didn't you?)

Edited by Jazzmoose