Foreign Accent Syndrome

Looks like the Australian version of 60 Minutes did a story on this syndrome some time ago.

UT Dallas is doing ongoing research and has information for the public here: http://www.utdallas.edu/research/FAS/about/

See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR_HyIyTSZg - very sad, I think.

:(

If the sufferer has other symptoms and disabilities associated with an Acquired Brain Injury, then yes indeed it is very sad and actually quite tragic. Even 'mild' affects of Traumatic Brain Injury will be life changing and potentially tragic for the victim and their loved ones. However, this article does not deal with those debilitating and irreversible symptoms whatsoever. So if this person got away with a Brain Injury and all they (and their family), have to deal with is 'a funny French accent', then I definitely think grounds for humour and light heartedness are in order. If you are cognisant with 'Australian Sixty Minutes' - the most puerile and sensationalist of Right Wing propaganda, then perhaps you are Australian, and will surely see the hilarity of this almost 'Monty Python-esque' of circumstances.

If indeed, the sufferer has, 'more usual' symptoms of ABI, and they are downplaying them at the expense of this rather 'inconvenient' - but funny symptom - then perhaps they are actually doing a disservice to the very real and disabling, 'other', challenges someone with ABI must negotiate on an ongoing basis.

Looks like the Australian version of 60 Minutes did a story on this syndrome some time ago.

UT Dallas is doing ongoing research and has information for the public here: http://www.utdallas.edu/research/FAS/about/

See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR_HyIyTSZg - very sad, I think.

:(

If the sufferer has other symptoms and disabilities associated with an Acquired Brain Injury, then yes indeed it is very sad and actually quite tragic. Even 'mild' affects of Traumatic Brain Injury will be life changing and potentially tragic for the victim and their loved ones. However, this article does not deal with those debilitating and irreversible symptoms whatsoever. So if this person got away with a Brain Injury and all they (and their family), have to deal with is 'a funny French accent', then I definitely think grounds for humour and light heartedness are in order. If you are cognisant with 'Australian Sixty Minutes' - the most puerile and sensationalist of Right Wing propaganda, then perhaps you are Australian, and will surely see the hilarity of this almost 'Monty Python-esque' of circumstances.

If indeed, the sufferer has, 'more usual' symptoms of ABI, and they are downplaying them at the expense of this rather 'inconvenient' - but funny symptom - then perhaps they are actually doing a disservice to the very real and disabling, 'other', challenges someone with ABI must negotiate on an ongoing basis.

well, you can check the other articles, and see how the people who have this rare speech disorder feel about it. It's traumatic for them, and I'm sure it would be for any of us, were we to develop this problem. The vid I linked to clarifies what really happens, from a neurologist's standpoint as well as that of several people who have the syndrome. (They feel that it has pretty much destroyed their lives.)

Just not funny at all.

Like I said. Educate yourself about the other effects of Traumatic Brain Injury and how they effect peoples lives, and this rather extreme speech impediment will be put into perspective. Is this the only neurological disfunctioning going on?

If these people are getting on with normal functioning, and their brain is still processing everything to speed, apart from having their words come out sounding 'Chinese', then they are very lucky compared to someone with a Brain injury. Who also have the added reality of not only diminished cognitive power but also diminished energy and physical capacity as well.

It's still funny.

She hopes that will help her overcome the anxiety and depression that have developed along with the accent.

Yep. It's rather obvious there are no debilitating or irreversible symptoms involved.

The article makes no mention of any other symptoms accept the speech change. Which when you listen with knowledge of a Brain Injury speech pattern, is clearly one in the same. My interest in this, is really, are the anxiety and depression the results of a life that has been changed because of a confluence of Brain injury related symptoms - or just simply a change of speech articulation. If these sufferers are only being highlighted for the unusual 'spectacle' of a strange speech shift, and not for the 'whole' battery of ABI disability, then it's actually not being reported ethically. Some people recover functioning from Brain Injury's with minimal long term symptoms. Migraines and speech change suggest a more serious injury, that would have added symptoms to those two. But the articles focus more on some kind of 'social stigma' or 'change in relationship to self' adjustment disorder.

I want a hamburger.

So what? I'm not concerned with what the article focused on. My concern is with the anxiety and depression. Neither of which is to be messed with, and often lead to very bad results.

If you find that giggle-worthy, have at it. But others are right to call you out for it.

Perhaps so. That maybe right. But you're still being a bit precious compared to the overall tenor of the Chinese or French accent in an Aussie person. FFS.

But this 'syndrome' is either an Acquired Brain Injury or it's not. ABI is not simply a 'syndrome'. Perhaps a visit to or moment with some people who experience actual ABI challenges, might relieve some of these syndrome sufferers of their anxiety and depression.

Anxiety and Depression themselves are massively subjective areas when you get into the root causes being 'environmental' or neurological. Very different to Psychosis and Bi-polar.

Ah, so anything you deem not to be a bonafide brain injury can be treated by simply introducing the false sufferer to those you deem to have legitimate brain injuries. NICE!

So what did you appreciate concerning Ms. Rowe's condition when you examined her? Is she just trying to be cute?

Edited by Scott Dolan

Ah, so anything you deem not to be a bonafide brain injury can be treated by simply introducing the false sufferer to those you deem to have legitimate brain injuries. NICE!

So what did you appreciate concerning Ms. Rowe's condition when you examined her?

I am not claiming 'a false sufferer'. Just putting things into a bit of perspective and questioning the way this 'syndrome' is being 'presented' to the public perhaps. Yes it is a serious thing...is there something humorous about it as well...yes there is.

You are such a bore.

Edited by freelancer

Edited to add: I never watch Fox "news" here (or similar), but while stuck in waiting rooms where it was playing on a TV (and I couldn't change the station), I've actually seen a few stories that were decent (non-political).

again, fwiw.

Incredible (said with a French accent)!