Jeffery Vents and Pats Himself On the Back

jeffcrom

Okay, I just taught the first day of a middle school band camp - the third year which I've taught this one. I teach the saxophones, conduct sectional rehearsals with the saxes, trumpets, and French horns, and direct the jazz big band. The past two years, the jazz band has been pretty good, and we've been able to play some pretty good charts after only four days of rehearsal, one hour a day.

Well, this year, the jazz band is packed with All-State quality trumpet and trombone players. But there's only one saxophonist who has a clue, and the rhythm section is beyond green. While warming up, I asked the drummer to play a swing pattern. He looked at me as if I was speaking Martian. So I asked if he could play me a rock beat. Nope. I asked if had played drum set before, or just snare drum in band class - he had played drum set "once." So I taught him basic swing and rock patterns, and told him not to even look at the music - just swing or groove.

Even so, the swing arrangement I had picked out was beyond the capabilities of the saxes. (They were more or less okay on the contrasting Latin/rock tune, Mr. Puente's "Oye Come Va.") So I got home at 4:30 and immediately started on an arrangement of Horace Silver's "The Preacher" featuring the brass, mostly, with very simple saxophone parts. I wrote for an hour and a half, stopped to cook dinner, went to a two-hour rehearsal for a gig later this week, then wrote, edited, and printed for another hour and a half. But I think I've now got something the band can play.

But, damn! I not only want my check at the end of the week, I want a medal or somethin.'

How come?

I've noticed around here too (not only in more professional big bands of today that you hear in any sort of setting) but also among high school bands that the scores and the general sound are very, very brass-laden. Even when they want to play jazz. And this has been so for decades. The brass seem to carry the sound any time. As if there never is any shortage of competent brass players whereas the reeds ... ;)

Maybe I'm one to notice this particularly soon because I'm quite tuned in to the more reeds-oriented swing-era big bands (not that I wouldn't like "progressive" 40s big bands just as well) but still ...

It IS strange ...

Steve, the fact that the brass are the strong group in this band is just coincidence. It just happens to be a very young, raw goup of saxophonists who signed up for the camp this year. Being a saxophonist myself, I like hearing the saxes balance the brass, too. But it ain't gonna happen with this band.

Anyway, thanks to all for letting me vent. Although I was sleep-deprived this morning, it was all for the best. The new chart sounds good, and (with a little work), is within the capabilities of the most inexperienced of the saxophone players. And two of the weakest members of the band, the drummer and the piano player, apparently went to the woodshed when they got home yesterday, and have improved enormously - in one day! Both charts started to gell today, and the band and I had a blast at rehearsal. Three more rehearsals, and we should be in shape for the concert on Friday.

I just love teaching motivated kids.

Edited by jeffcrom

Well, sgcim, this is a day camp - we all go home at 3:00, so nobody drives anyone else too crazy. And the kids are mostly really sweet; there are a few knuckleheads, of course, but not too many.

Three days in, and these young musicians are improving by leaps and bounds. We decided on solos for "The Preacher" today - we're going to have a trombone solo by a very talented young lady, followed by a trumpet battle between two young men. One told the other, "Build it up and make it hotter and hotter." I love these kids.