Peter Appleyard RIP

Ted O'Reilly

Geez, TTK, are you 14 years old? "AWESOME!"?!?!?

It comes from a period when 'jazzers-are-junkies', and that cover added to the slur, suggesting all jazz was drug-ridden. So I say, tasteless, at least...

I'll be 15 in September.

As for the "jazzers are junkies," the hypo needle is a reference to the album title.

So is anyone familiar with that gorgeous version of "Lotus Land" by Calvin Jackson with Peter Appleyard on vibes?

Don't bother with the version on Amazon. It has been transferred at the wrong speed.

The correct version is on the Columbia LP, and it should be in Eb minor.

I would post a youtube link, but there is none.

Geez, TTK, are you 14 years old? "AWESOME!"?!?!?

It comes from a period when 'jazzers-are-junkies', and that cover added to the slur, suggesting all jazz was drug-ridden. So I say, tasteless, at least...

I'll be 15 in September.

As for the "jazzers are junkies," the hypo needle is a reference to the album title.

So is anyone familiar with that gorgeous version of "Lotus Land" by Calvin Jackson with Peter Appleyard on vibes?

Don't bother with the version on Amazon. It has been transferred at the wrong speed.

The correct version is on the Columbia LP, and it should be in Eb minor.

I would post a youtube link, but there is none.

Nope, the needle ain't referring to Doctored super sound. Not when the first track is The Man With The Golden Arm -- ever see that flick? And not according to Peter Appleyard, who should know. (No doubt the record company used your argument)

But right you are about Lotus Land -- a lovely, lissome version. There's an Amazon edition? I didn't think any of it was ever issued on CD.

That Calvin Jackson Quartet was a long-time working ensemble in Toronto, and it was easy for them to record two complete LPs in three NYC sessions in the summer of 1955: the eponymous "The Calvin Jackson Quartet" (Columbia CL756) and "The Calvin Jackson Quartet -- Rave Notice" (Columbia CL824). Both LPs fit neatly on my CDR, running just under 70 minutes.

It looks like the Amazon version of "Lotus Land" may be a EU public domain issue, which would partially explain the wrong speed.

There is an entire side of an MGM George Shearing LP - I think it is "An Evening With" - that was transferred at a woefully slow speed, it was as if someone played the 78s at 45 rpm and no one noticed. I had to pitch correct the album and it is fine now.

As for "Doctored for," whatever. I still think the cover is awesome, and I happen to like jazz from that era that evokes the urban jungle. Those were the times. If they were riffing on "The Man with the Golden Arm" for the cover image, all the better.