Contacting Hathut

Swinger

edited to add: I see now I look that Hatology downloads *do* exist so scrub 77.5% of what I just said.

Here I guess? http://www.qobuz.com/recherche?q=hatOLOGY&i=boutique

Unfortunately there are not the Anthony Braxton releases i am looking for.

No and there seem to be very few, as if they don't really believe in it....

The smaller classical labels are streets ahead of jazz on this. It might be argued that Chandos/Hyperion are medium size but just look at this from Gimell, the Tallis Scholars label:

http://www.gimell.com/recording-Thomas-Tallis---Spem-in-alium.aspx

A format for every fetish.

The performers on Hat and Emanem cannot be wealthy people - I'm sure they could hardly object to expanding the formats available. I can see start up costs (and workload) might be considerable but once established... The big bonus comes in 'impulse buying'. If I have to order and wait I might um and ah a bit. If after being thrilled by a Barry Guy or whatever record I feel the desire for another and can access it straight away then a sale is much more likely (whether I should be so easily manipulated by a desire for instant gratification is something else).

The whole audiophile thing seems to have some labels stuck and shooting themselves in the foot. Gimell make both physical and download available - the first are there for those who feel that format is superior and allows for sales at concerts (and in cathedral gift shops!); the latter helps those of us out who don't live near a decent record shop and suffer from impatience.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

I can see start up costs (and workload) might be considerable but once established...

If the title has ever had a CD release, then the masters are already in digital format...I wouldn't think there's much additional cost in converting AIFF format to mp3, FLAC, etc.

I can see start up costs (and workload) might be considerable but once established...

If the title has ever had a CD release, then the masters are already in digital format...I wouldn't think there's much additional cost in converting AIFF format to mp3, FLAC, etc.

But the workload for a one (or few) man operation to change from an established approach might be daunting. I don't know. If you can start and keep a label running, recording much music yourself and then release it with little hope of selling many...well, the adjustment to downloads doesn't seem to be as big a step.

I just know that if Emanen and Hat were downloadable I'd buy more. I pick up a fair few Intakt discs that way (though they don't have everything out that way).

• 2 years later...