Harlem River Drive.

Matthew

Jim giving the alert to Latin fans gives me a mind to make another recommendation. Harlem River Drive has been reissued in LP format (no cd reissue yet), and this is just a killer record! AMG, if that's any thing to go on, raves about this session and calls it "legendary". It's Eddie and Charlie Palmieri first recorded music after coming from Cuba and the closest thing I can compare it to is Marvin Gaye's What's Going On. In fact, it'w one of the few records that can stand comparision to WGO. Has that funky early 70's vibe to it, and the reissue quality of the lp is great. Those evil people at Dusty Groove have it on the site.

Dustygroove used to have this CD for sale. I know this because Peter J. bought me one for the extra copy of "Live at Montreux" that I traded to him.

I wouldn't quite compare this record to "What's Goin' On". On the contrary, it kind of reminds of the Headhunters work w/o Herbie, particularly "Survival of the Fittest". Still, it's a good funk record, though I wouldn't quite sing its praises like AMG does.

Edited by undergroundagent

It's a fine record indeed, but I don't know what this AMG bizness about "relocation from Cuba" is - both Palmieris were born and raised in NYC, and both forged their careers there!

Well, hecks bells, I thought so, but I said to myself: "AMG can't get it that wrong, can it?" Just mark it up to AMG quality control, the same group that trained Blue Note. <_<

I emailed Thom Jurek about the strange reference in the review -- apparently it was garbled in the editing. He'd originally written something about this being the first time Eddie and Charlie co-led a band, or something, but I guess we'll see: they're supposed to fix it straightaway,

--eric

I emailed Thom Jurek about the strange reference in the review -- apparently it was garbled in the editing.

Why do I have a feeling that's akin to my claiming "technical difficulties" whenever I fall asleep for a minute when I'm doing 5am air?

Because it is. :g

That's right. After you wake up, drool pooling on the board, you just turn on the mic and apologize for the last song having been "garbled in editing." Then continue on as normal (go back to sleep).

--eric