66 choruses

There's a version on Road Band Volume 2 (that's what the LP is, not sure about the CD, Red Barron label, iirc) that is not that long a solo, but Gonsalves gets gonzo in his ideas, pure-d OUT there.

and yeah, if you came in too loaded, Duke was not above hanging you out to dry (out). I gather that his tolerance was high, but not unlimited!

What I really like is that thing they added around '65 or so, "Old Circus Train" right? As a background, and they'd finish it up with this longass band trill that at times would just keep going on fordamnever. sometime Paul would get asecond wind out of that, and then HOO-WHEE!

The world that enabled music and people like this doesn't really exist any more. and even when it did, the Ellington World was some rarified shit.

Never cared for the Newport version. This one even less. I have read somewhere on here (could have been JSngry) that Duke would put people out there for that long as a sort of of punishment.

I've seen Kermit Ruffins and the Barbecue Swingers quite a few times in New Orleans, and at least twice I saw trombonist Corey Henry walk in late, while Kermit was into the second song. Both times, as soon as he had his horn out of the case, he was "rewarded" with a long solo, without having had the chance to warm up.