Phil Woods in Grand Rapids

Lazaro Vega

As in Tomorrow, Feb 11. He'll be at Forest Hills Northern High School, 7:30 p.m. to play with their jazz band, and then The Grand Rapids Jazz Orchestra led by trumpeter Max Colley and featuring some of the best local players including drummer Tim Froncek and pianist Steve Talaga.

Sorry, don't have the phone number on me, but Forest Hills Northern is in (616) information. You'll want to be directed to Max. Should be plenty of tickets at the door, but you never know with high school shows: they usually have higher attendance than college ones. <_<

Edited by Lazaro Vega

...who wrote a cut for me, "One for Lazaro" on his new CD ! Sprung ;) it on me unawares at a History of Jazz Concert I mc'd at Northview High School and just blew me away. Never been that honored by a musician. Jumpin' With Symphony Sid, An Oscar For Treadwell, Avila and Tequila, Wilke's Grin (by Don Lanphere for Seattle dj Jim Wilke) and now, well almost, One For Lazaro...Which is an attempt to elevate Spring more than moi. Are you going to go see Phil not Quill?

Great Show!! Thanks for posting the info, Lazaro. There's at least two West Michigan board members who really appreciate it!

My 10-year old daughter came, too. I think she enjoyed it as well, but she's just too cool to admit it. I hope it will be one of those things that she'll look back on in twenty years and realize how cool it really was to see a legend like Phil Woods. B)

Glad you made it. Me? no :( , I had to be on the air playing Horace Tapscott recordings. But was thinking about it, and was wondering if the concert crowd would be tuning in after the hit.

Next up, Chicago drummer Paul Wertico at Forest Hills Central High School on Feb. 26th; or The Xavier Davis Trio (Tom Harrell's rhythm section) at the Wealthy Theater on, you guessed it, the 26th.

Looking forward to Monday night's concert with the Newport Festival All Stars. Have you heard Moody's new cd on Savoy? Very nice. Savoy used Benny Golson to arrange the Lou Rawls recording of Sinatra tunes, and now Bob Belden to shape the new Moody cd. They're doing more than just throwing some music at the wall to see what sticks.