Stores

David Ayers

Dare a say, a bit of government interventionism wouldn't go amiss! But then, we are told, the wealth creators will flee to another zone where they can enjoy the free market unhindered.

Napoleonic forts/Fort Boyard clones in the middle of the English Channel perhaps, filled up with server stacks? Shades of Radio Caroline.. :crazy:

Then it was piracy. Now it's entrepreneurship.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does that make you a bittorrent junkie?

Don't understand the question.

That was in response to David Ayers' post. Either that or he abstains (or he is an indecent man). ;)

Historically the only performer on a jazz record who might have a royalty in her/his contract was the named leader. That was part of the entertainment industry's system of exploitation. The only decent thing to do is not buy those recordings.

I'm saying that would be the logic as I know you know ;)

No-one here seems to have a problem streaming from youtube.

Well, I'm still trapped in 'ownership' mode so I only stream to explore; then I download if I want that recording.

My move from music "ownership" through CD or download into streaming is only bringing my music consumption into line with my other cultural consumption. I watch several films a week, either in the cinema or through streaming or DVD hire - nothing is "owned". But it's with my reading that your capitalist model is defeated, Bev. Nearly all the books I read come from Manchester Public Libraries or University of Manchester Library - for free! :tup

Well, I'm still trapped in 'ownership' mode so I only stream to explore; then I download if I want that recording.

My move from music "ownership" through CD or download into streaming is only bringing my music consumption into line with my other cultural consumption. I watch several films a week, either in the cinema or through streaming or DVD hire - nothing is "owned". But it's with my reading that your capitalist model is defeated, Bev. Nearly all the books I read come from Manchester Public Libraries or University of Manchester Library - for free! :tup

Ah yes - and the authors lose a great deal of income... ;)

I'll have to take lessons from you, Bill. In a couple of years my income will dramatically reduce. Having said that, I think I've got enough unread books on the shelves to keep me happy for a while.

Hasn't Thom Yorke of Radiohead been leading the charge against Spotify not paying artists properly? I don't know how that is going.

Just to switch gears a bit, I do use a streaming service--for films. I finally joined Hulu+ and Netflix streaming this year and it has been a good experience. Hulu+ has most of the Criterion Collection online, which is the manna of my movie watching. Netflix selection still not great but I also use the DVD service.

Online streaming has knocked out virtually every rental store. In the end, this is what may happen on the music side.

Hasn't Thom Yorke of Radiohead been leading the charge against Spotify not paying artists properly? I don't know how that is going.

Ironic - one of the really big earners is concerned not to lose money. What about those jazz musicians who take home a tiny fraction of his pay?

Vinyl - long gave that up before it went out of vogue and then came back in. Too many moves and to much to store. Frankly, I admit to being conditioned by iTunes and having my library ripped and stored in one source and I can access all of it remotely with my phone, play it thru a DAC and good speakers. Chalk one up to convenience.

CD's - I dig liner notes, box set booklets, etc. I read them constantly. Can't get those from streaming or download and don't care to look for them on the interwebs. I rip and keep. Toying with the idea of reupping for the CD player, hi-fi, but until the laptop dies, I'll stick with iTunes as a storage device.

Streaming, Downloading - Zero interest. Enjoy going to record shops (fortunate to be in a market where they still exist). Again, I need the liner notes. Also, I don't look for or try to discover "new" music. My collection is better than Spotify, so no need for it.

Online: if I can't find a CD at the store (new or used), I have no problem going to Amazon or Discogs. Value is there and I'm ok with waiting until packages arrive.