interval recognition

page

enjoying this thread a lot ... makes me want to pick up my saxophones again, too!

here's a version akin to my first encounter with "Invitation" - very good one as the melody sticks easily once you've heard it:

Thank you, king ubu. I need the melody to stick indeed. It helps when it is clear and standing out.

Lucky Thompson also did a wonderful version of this tune ... on his great "Lucky Strikes" album - a short sample (including the motif at the end) is on allmusic:

http://www.allmusic.com/album/lucky-strikes-mw0000649753

the full tune in on the tube, too:

I recommend sitting a piano for about 30 years to start; that gives you a visual.

Intervals are my weakest point, due to some pretty severe math disabilities that I have. But there are compensations in learning theoretical ways to navigate harmony in a chromatic way; meaning - C chord; c chromatic scale; build a chord or scale on each interval of the chromatic scale, but not in random ways; rather, learn to connect these fragments and resolve them back to the C (this, btw, is one of Bird's secrets, I've always felt; his incredible ability to make consonant and melodic phrases out of distant and connected intervals).

that's the way I do it, but it does not work for every one.

Lucky Thompson also did a wonderful version of this tune ... on his great "Lucky Strikes" album - a short sample (including the motif at the end) is on allmusic:

http://www.allmusic.com/album/lucky-strikes-mw0000649753

the full tune in on the tube, too:

and a vocal version by Sassy:

Those are both lovely! Thanks!

I recommend sitting a piano for about 30 years to start; that gives you a visual.

Intervals are my weakest point, due to some pretty severe math disabilities that I have. But there are compensations in learning theoretical ways to navigate harmony in a chromatic way; meaning - C chord; c chromatic scale; build a chord or scale on each interval of the chromatic scale, but not in random ways; rather, learn to connect these fragments and resolve them back to the C (this, btw, is one of Bird's secrets, I've always felt; his incredible ability to make consonant and melodic phrases out of distant and connected intervals).

that's the way I do it, but it does not work for every one.

What does "sitting a piano" mean? I played piano from 10 till 15 years old, almost solely classical music. During my last year there my father died and I couldn't concentrate on anything anymore and since the lessons were too expensive for my mom I had to quit. Years later when I already was a teacher I dragged a few of my colleagues to guitar lessons that were especially meant for school teachers to learn to accompany children with singing. We solely learned simple chords, no jazz chords, but I used it to my benefit at the time. That said I would sooner have a visual of an interval at the piano than at the guitar. I had to sell my piano when I moved to another place and now I do have a keyboard so I can look at the intervals and play them while singing, yes.

In your explanation, you mean something like 'translating" the interval to the C as if it were the root? If that is what you mean to say, I think I already have been doing that since C major is the easiest key on the piano and it is easier to see what something is. Thank you for this suggestion.

Edited by page

well, I mean is that 1) the piano is really the answer to almost all musical questions, or at least the ones that I ask; and that one learns a lot about jazz by pounding at it from different keys (pun intended); what I mean by the other is that 2) if you learn to play chromatically but still keep whatever root there is as a sonic center, you will learn enough to apply to a lot of musical situations; so it can also be in D; take those 12 tones and put 'em out and take 'em back; leanr how an E7 triad can be made to fit a D tonality, as can an F sharp and a G sharp.

Hi all,

i'm working on my ear training and I'm making a list of songs to help me remember the intervals. I've found some tunes I am familar with for most intervals. There are a few intervals though that give a bit of trouble and I'd like to ask your help in what has helped you while you were learning.

The intervals I have the most trouble with are

- augmented 4th (especially descending) could anyone recommend some songs for this one. For ascending I have "Maria" and "The Simpsons" but I'd be happy with some more titles.

- minor 7th, ascending and descending, so far I have "Somewhere" (Westside Story) for ascending and "Watermelon Man". Some more titles would come in handy.

- Major 7th (especially descending, I only found "I love you" by Cole Porter 'till now.) For ascending I have "Ceora" and "Don't know why" (Norah Jones), more titles are welcome.

I'd prefer songs with vocals since I find it easier to remember the lyrics along with the intervals, but any names of tunes you did find helpful are welcome.

I'd be happy to post the list I've decided on as soon as I have the tunes with accompanying intervals in my head should anyone be interested. :)

Thank you for your time reading.

Kind regards, page

Why don't you take (some) private lessons? Sanna van Vliet is giving short seminars. See below.

Thanks for the links. That was not what I was asking about though. I'm not looking for such a course at the moment, nor for a vocal coach since I already have had one for years. Ear training is something you'll have to train yourself, every day, in whatever way you can. It doesn't stop no matter the period you have been playing already, any musician can tell you it is hard work. A befriended guitarplayer who has been at it for 30 years tells me he keeps his ear training up to date by spending an hour a day at it, just a part of his practice routine. For those who have a day job like me it is important to divide the time in such a way to work at different aspects, making it a solid practice routine so I'll have to set my priorities straight. I'm not new to ear training, I'm just looking for ways that will help me get better and songs that you can refer to intervals are a helpful tool.

Edited by page

I didn't say it was and it wasn't meant unfriendly. Sorry if you thought so. I'm kind of new to singing jazz, just been at it for around 8 years now and yes it seems she has a good course there to teach. I do know her as a singer, so I think it will be handy for vocalists to attend it. She uses the method CVT which is a good method for technique but in jazz it is more about expressing a feeling, telling the story or at least that is what I feel with it and so I use another method, one that helps you to crawl into the song to make it more believable.

Thanks again for your input, really.
Sincerely, page

removed personal comment

Edited by page

Ok, I’ve decided on my list, here it is as promised:

unison: One note samba

minor 2nd
asc: How Insensitive
desc: Für Elise

Major 2nd:
asc: Silent Night
desc: Mary had a little lamb

minor 3rd
asc: That night (original), you can pick: Georgia
desc: Dance (original), you can pick: Hey Jude

Major 3rd
asc: Oh, when the Saints
desc: Summertime

Perfect 4th
asc: Wilhelmus (our national song), you could pick: "O Christmas tree", orginally "O Tannenbaum"
desc: Oh, Come all ye faithful

Tritone:
asc: Maria
desc: Something's Coming, lyric line A part

Perfect 5th
asc: My favourite things
desc: The way you look tonight

minor 6th
asc: Before (original), you can pick: Black Orpheus
desc: Love Story

Major 6th
asc: My Bonnie lies over the ocean
desc: Nobody knows

minor 7nd
asc: Somewhere
desc: Watermelon Man, other one I've found is “None but the lonely heart” from Tchaikovsky

Major 7nd
asc: When I fall in love – lyric line B part or Ceora
desc: Something Wonderful from Rodgers & Hammerstein

Octave
asc: Nature Boy
desc: Willow weep for me

Thanks again, all of you, for helping me putting this list together.

Edited by page