Larry Young Mothership distortion

Aftab

Hi all,

It's been a looooong time since I've been around, but I figured I'd give it another go. Hello to all who may remember me, and to those of you who are new since the last time I was here.

Anyway....

I've got a question regarding the 2003 Larry Young Mothership Conn CD - does the trumpet sound distorted or 'beyond peak limits' to you? And if so, is this corrected on the recent Japanese reissue?

I noticed there isn't distortion on the version of Street Scene on the So Blue, So Funky comp.

Any help you can provide would be great. Thanks!

Hi Aftab, I have both the Conn "Mothership" and the new "BNLT 999" series Japanese reissue. To answer your question, I listened to "Street Scene" on both discs.

On the Conn, the recording sounded "hot," like it was recorded just below clipping. It has a more aggressive sound. This aspect is somewhat reduced on the Japanese reissue; it sounded less aggressive.

Nevertheless, I did not hear any actual distortion or clipping on either disc. I probably prefer the Japanese reissue from what I've heard, although I have not listened to both discs all the way through in great detail. Anyway, that's my take, hope it helps.

Just got the BNLT999 edition. Sound is far superior. Great, now how many of these do I need to purchase to replace my US versions.....?

Glad you like that 999 edition. After I posted last time I listened to that recording twice through! It was just so good. I suppose if you have any previous edition you just don't like, you can try a 999 version if one exists.