Death of the iPod (Everyone's buying vinyl)

A Lark Ascending

13 hours ago, A Lark Ascending said:

Actually, I can see the appeal of vinyl, especially to people who grew up with it and have good enough systems to play it on (I bailed out as soon as possible - all I recall is flutter/wow/clicks/scratches/jumps/off-centre pressings/inner groove distortion etc; listening to classical music in particular was transformed for me by the CD).

In the late 1980s I sensed that sound rather than status was why classical listeners were moving to CD. They moved first probably because (as you say) the genre was particularly transformed by CD plus that they were middle-aged and could afford them. Any status-symbol cachet was probably accidental, in the mind of the outside observer. 

At that time I was in my teens and could only afford LPs, which were £5-£6 each. CDs were £11-£12. When the price of the latter came down I also switched.

Even then there were people who bought LPs and didn't play them, it's nothing new. There are always crackpot collectors. But I think most people, even fanatics like us, just want the music.

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, crisp said:

But I think most people, even fanatics like us, just want the music.

Yes, you're right.

The interesting thing will be to see if, once the chicness of vinyl passes, whether there will be enough demand to keep the vinyl presses rolling for those whose interest is primarily with the music (but who love vinyl as a format). 

One of the interesting things in the Gramophone article is interviews with people from the record companies who say that putting out limited edition vinyl sets actually isn't that costly - the big spending has already been done on producing the music for CD. But there's a tentativeness there over just how much to release.  

I remember the huge price differential between CD and LP. I bought my first player in 1985 (on HP!) but initially only bought classical on CD (most jazz/folk could survive the imperfections of vinyl; quiet bits on piano recordings for example drove me nuts). I had to limit myself to one CD and an LP each week (utter Byzantine debauchery to my friends and family!). 

Edited by A Lark Ascending

It's remarkable to me how pricing of CDs and LPs has reversed. I recall buying the Pet Shop Boys album Actually in 1987 when it was new: as a chart album it cost me £4.99 at HMV. The CD would have been preferable but that would have been £10.99, beyond my budget.

Today the same band's latest album, Super, costs £8 on CD at Amazon UK, while the LP costs £19.99! It doesn't seem to be an uncommon case.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Another Guardian vinyl-craze article. But this one made me smile:

Vinyl destination: who is actually buying records?

Lonely, middle-aged men love vinyl. Before you rush to litter the comments section with gnarly insults under the pseudonym NotAllLonelyMiddleAgedMen, this statement derives from actual data.According to YouGov, the much talked-about record resurgence is driven not by a boom in millennials who want to embrace the novelty of a physical item, but by midlife nostalgia......

I've wandered into one or two of those Berwick Street shops in the last year or so and found them utterly depressing - like jumble shops. 

By chance I was watching an episode from a late 90s series ('Cold Feet') last night and there was a scene as two characters moved through the Virgin store in Manchester. Now that did fill me with nostalgia. Acres of CDs all looking pristine with separate rooms for classical, jazz/blues/folk etc. Those were the days....   

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Those Berwick Street shops were always like jumble sales. Since the old LPs they now sell will be even older the shops are probably even more grotty.

I never liked vinyl and never liked shopping for it or paying the inflated prices for scratched oop LPs just to hear the music. Streaming and internet shopping for CDs has freed more time for activities other than slogging around the shops and the Tube network and it costs less. I don't feel nostalgic for West End record shops with their high prices, rude staff and piped music and I'm delighted that I never need to visit that area of London again. For me these are the good old days.

I can nevertheless imagine that Cold Feet scene is fun to see, a bit like a British version of that scene in Hannah and her Sister where Woody Allen bumps into Diane Wiest in Tower Records. Doesn't mean I would want those days to return, however.

The Berwick St shops always were a bit of an overpriced joke for second hand jazz vinyl, although I did pick up a Freddie Roach 'Mo Greens' deep groove copy at one of those places on one occasion that was half way affordable.

Since totally upgrading the CD player and its supply I have to say that I've been spinning about 95% CD, although the vinyl quality still has the edge for good pressings so is the preference when I have a bit of time. Less 'faff' factor with CDs though.

Some of the most interesting and unique titles were at 'Intoxica' in Portobello back in the day but - no bargains..

Edited by sidewinder

8 hours ago, crisp said:

For me these are the good old days.

Me too. Record shops then were much better than record shops now. But availability online today is infinitely more varied than the olden days. I spotted a new Australian jazz recording online yesterday. Ten minutes later a FLAC copy was burnt to disc. 15 years ago I didn't know there was Australian jazz!

After ten years of extolling the virtues of MP3 I've had to face up to the fact that I can hear a difference with CD after buying a new Naim streamer last year. So I've returned to CD plus FLAC. Not that I'm to be trusted when it comes to hi-fi. I got some nice new speakers last week - thoroughly enjoyed listening through them over the last few days. But was puzzled this morning when listening to a string quartet to hear the violins on the right and the cello/viola on the left. A quick check revealed I had the speaker wires back to front! Have a feeling they've been like that for a few months - probably didn't need new speakers at all! Away at the moment but looking forward to listening to them the right way round. Should sound even better. 

Bev, your speaker wires story reminds me of when I bought my first separates system three years ago. My wife went along with it all but queried the wisdom of spending so much on expensive cables when you already had some included. Anyway, we together assembled the system at home and got it playing. Sounded great. Then we started clearing away the packaging and found -- the expensive cables! We'd used the ones that came with the system by mistake. We agreed we might as well fit them and did so. The difference was immediately noticeable: my wife was suddenly convinced of the wisdom of buying them (and actually so was I).

I don't have one, or an iphone either. Maybe it's childish or something, but I didn't care for Steve Jobs or Apple and would rather buy and support products created by people I believe in.

A friend offered to give me an ipod once. I prefer to listen to recorded music at home, through decent speakers.

9 hours ago, fasstrack said:

I don't have one, or an iphone either. Maybe it's childish or something, but I didn't care for Steve Jobs or Apple and would rather buy and support products created by people I believe in.

I initially had the same reaction. Another product from a mega company. My first player was from another brand. But then I gave in and the Apple was just a far superior device - so much easier to manipulate.

9 hours ago, fasstrack said:

A friend offered to give me an ipod once. I prefer to listen to recorded music at home, through decent speakers.

You'll never get the same sound that you do in your home environment on good speakers. But if you like to have music (or need to because of limited time at home) while out of the house it is a wonderful addition. 

On 19/08/2016 at 11:07 PM, A Lark Ascending said:

...But if you like to have music (or need to because of limited time at home) while out of the house it is a wonderful addition. 

Maybe I'm a hard case, but I also don't want to be like the other 'sheeple' walking around with earbuds in and practically crashing into you because they are lost in their private reveries. 

I have enough music in my life on jobs and at home, working on it or listening. When I'm outside I really cherish the opportunity to see what's going on and interact with other people if possible, so I try to keep my ears open and unemcumbered. The modern world is way too atomized...

I actually agree with fasstrack. Now, I do use my earbuds quite a bit at work, and when I'm mowing the yard, for example. But, when I'm out and about I really like to take in what is going on around me. Whether or not it be interacting with others, listening to nature, or the sounds of the city. 

Edited by Scott Dolan

I mean John Cage thought that all sounds are music.

It's become downright deplorable. When you get on a subway train here, no one is reading anymore. Everyone is either lost in earbudland or playing with a device. Sure, they are useful tools, but I honestly fear for the future of human communication and self-betterment...

2 hours ago, fasstrack said:

I have enough music in my life on jobs and at home, working on it or listening.  When I'm outside I really cherish the opportunity to see what's going on and interact with other people if possible, so I try to keep my ears open and unemcumbered. The modern world is way too atomized...

I like the iPod for those mundane situations like walking into town, long drives, sitting in waiting rooms etc. Maybe in the States you all chat to one another but we Brits tend to keep to ourselves. Try the London underground for wonderful social interaction amongst strangers! 

I also like to have music on long solo walks - yes, you miss the birds and wind whistling through the trees but there's nowt like a bit of Vaughan Williams whilst walking over English hills. My main use is between about 7.00 a.m and 10.00 a.m. where I use it round the house so there's no danger of any seepage through the walls to annoy the neighbours. 

I don't recall ever being bumped into by someone with earphones. Now, people using their mobiles....

What I do get irritated by is music played before and in the intervals of concerts. Having no music for a while makes the opening of the sets more special. Especially maddening when the musicians are on stage ready for the off and whoever is in charge of the tape isn't paying attention. And even more maddening at a festival where you find yourself in the same venue several times but they keep playing the same tape (or CD or soundfile).  

4 hours ago, A Lark Ascending said:

Having no music for a while makes the opening of the sets more special. Especially maddening when the musicians are on stage ready for the off and whoever is in charge of the tape isn't paying attention.  

Good point. It's distracting to musicians as well. Musicians need some quiet time before the set to focus and get ready to give our all. Sometimes that entails not even hearing music in one's own head for a brief moment, let alone hearing it externally...

16 hours ago, fasstrack said:

I mean John Cage thought that all sounds are music.

It's become downright deplorable. When you get on a subway train here, no one is reading anymore. Everyone is either lost in earbudland or playing with a device. Sure, they are useful tools, but I honestly fear for the future of human communication and self-betterment...

How many of those people are listening to something relatively educational, though? I listen to podcasts at work 99% of the time. And most of those are political. So I'm learning a great deal while I'm listening. Don't just assume everyone with earbuds in is simply wasting the minute/hours listening to music. 

6 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

All I'm saying is that podcasts are incredibly popular. So there's more people listening to them than just me. I'm sure the majority of people of people are listening to music, but probably not as many as you think. 

My point was that they're still disconnected from everyone and everything else, no matter what they're listening to. That's what troubles me...

If they're part of a community that listens to the same podcast, then they're not really disconnected unless they never do anything else or never interact with anybody else. I know there's people like that, but they're not likely to be the type that go places, even if they listen to their podcasts en route.

Perhaps you'd prefer a return to boom boxes?